Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess I am really branching out now :laughing: My husband called me from work to tell me that a guy he works with brought him a gift of 2 young canaries!
The guy breeds them and knows we have other birds so I guess he figured we would be good parents. I am running out of quarantine rooms :giggle:

I don't know anything about keeping canaries, I guess I will learn fast.
I'll post pictures as soon as I can.

· Servant of The King
12,008 Posts
Guess you and the hubby are gonna find out the meaning of the old saying.."sing like a canary"...:D

Awesome of you guys to take them in, looking forward to the pics...:)

· Member of the Year 2016//Exceptional Service Award
4,418 Posts
Oh

check out Ladygouilianfinch.com. Canaries are in the finch family. They usually enjoy staying in the home cage. and males sing beautifully. They are less of a hand pet and do well in a mixed finch aviary. A breeder can tell you which type of finches go well together. They can be very sensitive to cold breezes and respiratory problems. German roller singer cocks are expensive and in high demand, but oh is the music to die for!!!!. They will respond to their people and tend to be less flock birds than budgies. They have a different beak than budgies, but eat similar foods and like clean gravel/calcisand with a bit of fine charcoal in it. They eat seeds whole and grind them up in the crop. they love egg food. and enjoy a bit of green leaf to nibble. Lady gouldianfinch has a great mineral powder and lots of reference material on canaries. Rapid postal
service and they ship international. Vitamin A and Iodine tend to be issues for healthy caneries. Soluvite D is a great vitamin carried by LadyG. Best wishes,
Jo Ann:p

· Super Moderator
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
check out Ladygouilianfinch.com. Canaries are in the finch family. They usually enjoy staying in the home cage. and males sing beautifully. They are less of a hand pet and do well in a mixed finch aviary. A breeder can tell you which type of finches go well together. They can be very sensitive to cold breezes and respiratory problems. German roller singer cocks are expensive and in high demand, but oh is the music to die for!!!!. They will respond to their people and tend to be less flock birds than budgies. They have a different beak than budgies, but eat similar foods and like clean gravel/calcisand with a bit of fine charcoal in it. They eat seeds whole and grind them up in the crop. they love egg food. and enjoy a bit of green leaf to nibble. Lady gouldianfinch has a great mineral powder and lots of reference material on canaries. Rapid postal
service and they ship international. Vitamin A and Iodine tend to be issues for healthy caneries. Soluvite D is a great vitamin carried by LadyG. Best wishes,
Jo Ann:p
Thanks, I'll be sure to check out the info on that website. I raised a sparrow that ran my life for 12 years, she was quite a character and had me trained quite well, that is the extent of my experience with birds in the finch family

· Super Moderator
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They have already settled in, they are not at all shy and don't seem to be at all
afraid. They are eating and have both already had a bath! Do canaries play with toys? I put a couple of swings in the cage and a mirror that has a small food cup on it, the male seems to like that. I have no idea what they are genetically.
Here they are, this is the female, those brownish feathers on her face almost look like fur

here is the male he looks like he needs his nails cut

· Super Moderator
6,258 Posts
Never give male canaries mirrors, eventually, when their hormones spike in the spring breeding season, they will spend all of their time frantically trying to fight it.
Thanks, I'll remove it, any other advice is most welcome.

Oh wow they are gorgeous :) what names have you picked?
The first thing that came to mind when I saw them was Jack and Jill, like in the nursery rhyme but I am not sure that will stick.

· Super Moderator
20,295 Posts
Cody, congratulations on your beautiful pair! Heavens, they're just lovely and I do rather like Jack and Jill for them ;)

Of course, pictures are definitely a must!

I don't know much about them although my sister was researching them before she got Tilda, so I know the basics. Basically everything you know, haha.

I'm truly excited for updates! :jumping:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.