Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some photo's of my latest budgies which I have talked about. The one is the one that may be a green grey violet opaline. However, sometimes this lense makes a blue hint on black, don't know why. I usually edit it out as I am a pro photographer as well, just starting out, which is why I can't afford a new better lens yet, anyway here they are so what do you think she really is?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok better pics

This is in natural light w/ out the blue adding of the flash and lens which in some lights adds the blue cast, to grays whites and hard blacks. you must understand photography to understand this happens and its affects on the color of those colors I just mentioned. So saying that, you can see the tail is black, I also read recently grey greens can have deep blue/blackish tails so even if he did have that, he could still be grey green, also if she had violot mixed in that could account for any tail color, but again, these pictures show the true shade of her tail which is black.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hi there,

it does look like an olive, but with the black tail it could well be a greygreen violet opaline.

i do not have much experience with green violets so will wait and see what others say.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, I am not trying to be difficult, but I am trying to decide who to breed who to of the two pairs. Eventually, I want to add grey. I found one, but I didn't need a female at the time. I also read to start w/ good foundation stalk first, then start breeding for other things, once the mattings are showing good offspring. One breeder said opaline is great w/ the other normal colors since it gives good size and color to the offspring and greys do that as well I guess. so I am starting w. green and blue pairs of different shades and the one opaline, but the opaline just seems different somehow and so does the lighter blue male I have.

I have read so much of colors looking one way and producing completely different colors and shades than expected so I am trying to arm myself w/ all of the facts I can for the pairings.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I don't know....I still think it looks VERY olive to me. The problem is, that seeing a bird in a picture is NEVER EVER the same thing as seeing a bird in the flesh. I know I'm going to have the same issues when I ask about my birds....I have one that has a yellowy cream so light you can barely see it on the white, and I'm NOT a professional photographer :D

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I don't know....I still think it looks VERY olive to me. The problem is, that seeing a bird in a picture is NEVER EVER the same thing as seeing a bird in the flesh. I know I'm going to have the same issues when I ask about my birds....I have one that has a yellowy cream so light you can barely see it on the white, and I'm NOT a professional photographer :D
olive and greygreen can be very similar, but an olive would not have a black tail as that is a feature of the greygreen.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
the grey gene produces black tail feathers, it is just one of the effects it has.

other normal blues and greens have various shades of blue tails...

·
Registered
936 Posts
i agree with Tonic, i have a male that is so very similar to this hen. he also has the black tail feathers and is a grey green opaline. she is very pretty :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hang on, are these pictures the same bird? if they are boy im silly :eek: that shows how the flash changes the colour so much!
I know it is amazing. Like in the first it shows up like his checks and yellow are iridescent but they aren't. His cheeks are very dull in natural light and they are very hard to tell the color of, but in these pics, not even the wall was the right shade, which happened to my blue bird pics too. Thus, back to waiting for natural daylight, lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know a lot of this is breeding and waiting to see what happens, but I am guesing since these are petshop birds, all from different places, even an hour away, that by seeing who was in the cages w/ them kind of shows me what they may have. Like the lightish dullish blue came w/ one grey. This one greyish olive did come w/ a whole lot of deep dark violets w/ opiline. The other greywing green and cobalt I am not sure as I got them from a family that no longer wanted them, but saying that I mean, I am guessing both greens are split for blue so it might be best to try my luck w/ the two greens first and the two blue's first, even if the cobalt and greywing are already kind of paired up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks very olive to me. Im not seeing the greygreen or violet sorry.
W/ olives you can get some blue in the breast feathers, which is quite common, but he has no blue. My greywing green has blue in his breast feathers and tail. Also this hen is really changing daily color and shape wise, as is the blue greyish one, because I am feeding them better than the put stores did. It took me about two weeks to really see the colors on my first birds cause their diets had been bad so this hen probably will change even more as she eats better and stays here longer.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Unfortunately it is an opaline - which means using the tail to determine whether it is grey green or olive is not possible. Opaline removes the normal pattern of colour/melanin in the tail feathers. You saying it is black may be so, but my sky blue opalines who should have a turqoise blue tail also have black tails with white midlines. So all that remains is the cheek patches and the body colour, both of which look olive to me as I dont see grey cheek patches or greygreen body colour.

Breeding will tell however :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately it is an opaline - which means using the tail to determine whether it is grey green or olive is not possible. Opaline removes the normal pattern of colour/melanin in the tail feathers. You saying it is black may be so, but my sky blue opalines who should have a turqoise blue tail also have black tails with white midlines. So all that remains is the cheek patches and the body colour, both of which look olive to me as I dont see grey cheek patches or greygreen body colour.

Breeding will tell however :)
hmmm, but violet is still possible. God I hate doing this w/ birds, lol. That is interesting about the Opaline characteristic. My blue bird isn't Opaline though and her tail is gray... oh well... I am going to breed her so I will find out then... still don't know who too first.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.