Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Olaf and Zircon have a few disadvantages. I have never owned a bird, and rarely been around them. 2 days before Christmas we went in for a beta fish and walked out with two birds and all the stuff the guy at Petsmart said we needed. So their first disadvantage is the family they went to is clueless. Their second disadvantage (or rather ours) is that they were purchased from Petsmart so they were not hand raised and are essentially wild.

The poor babies came home in a cardboard box and had to wait while we quickly set up their cage. We were told their wings were clipped. Luckily we were smart enough to do the transfer in a bedroom with the door shut because Zircon took flight. Olaf wouldn't leave the box.

In the last three weeks we have learned so much by researching. We got lucky. We brought home somehow two birds that are less than 4 months old. We have returned several times to the same pet store to find that 50-75% of the birds over over 4 months and some of those are probably a year or older. We visited the one other place in town to purchase birds to find that it's birds were all older and in very poor condition. Luckily I love to learn and read. I feel confident now that we can do things right. We did things backwards but we are coming along fast.

We came home with skiddish wild birds. We used a few different ways to try to start the process. The bathroom was a flop. They were not tame enough to stay on a finger and just kept "flying off" and we feared for their safety. (We clipped their wings to be able to let them out. I do believe that they will be tamed before we need to do so again. I would like them to be able to fly in our home). We resorted to food. A little millet or even their regular food and the words hop up. After 2 weeks I am able to leave the cage door open and the birds will come out, come see me and check out the living room. Now at 3 weeks they will actually sit on our arms or shoulders and just relax instead if wanting to keep moving. I must say 20 minutes a day is a big difference. Some days we manage 2 -3 20 minute sessions.

Just today both birds hopped and crawled over my daughters and I. They even took short flights to get to the hand head or shoulder they wanted to perch on. They were comfortable ad rested. They chirped at us and each other. It wasn't about food, it was about attention. We know when they want attention because they come to the cage door and chirp at us.

We love these two little guys and can't wait to share our triumph and mistakes with everyone else.

It's about them not me anyway right?

2016-01-16 20.08.41_zpss1ty5g5m.jpg Photo by Lori_Ann_Cox | Photobucket

Olaf

2016-01-13 16.29.28_zpsnmwawzdv.jpg Photo by Lori_Ann_Cox | Photobucket

Zircon
2016-01-13 16.27.21_zpsij0cgk3j.jpg Photo by Lori_Ann_Cox | Photobucket

·
Servant of The King
11,866 Posts
They are beautiful bird's, and I think they are fortunate to have found your family to live with. You may not have a lot of experience but you care enough to be here, and researching/learning all you can, so this will be a great success story I'm sure...:)

·
Super Moderator/Member of the Month October 2015
6,764 Posts
Such a nice story of success Lori :). Zircon looks like the same color as Olaf, but it's hard for me to tell by the pic.

Olaf has such a gorgeous color! I really love seafoam green :). It is not possible to have a green bird with a white back, but Olaf comes pretty close... he's exquisite. I must know his mutation, I've never seen one like this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Such a nice story of success Lori :). Zircon looks like the same color as Olaf, but it's hard for me to tell by the pic.

Olaf has such a gorgeous color! I really love seafoam green :). It is not possible to have a green bird with a white back, but Olaf comes pretty close... he's exquisite. I must know his mutation, I've never seen one like this.
Pictures aren't great. But Olaf is really light blue with white and zircon is that pretty greenish color with the yellow head. My husband picked out Olaf and my nine year old named him after a certain frozen snowman. I fell for zircon coloring including some very pretty tail colors. We will keep working on pictures. They are truly beautiful though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

Some out of the cage time today. Zircon did not feel Olaf needed his pic taken. Still no luck on getting them to eat anything but seeds.

This is in as close to natural light as we get in Michigan in january.

I am also told we have 2 beautiful boys....as I suspected. Very excited about having boys!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They are such stunning little guys! They look right at home on your finger ;)
We are very happy with their progress from wild petsmart birds to hanging out with us in 3 weeks:) they are hanging out with us longer each day before they want to return to the safety of their cage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yesterday evening my oldest daughter and I got the boys to eat some babyfood. Parsley, beoccoli, apples, oranges, raspberries etc have been ignored. But by mixing a little baby food with seeds the want of the seeds won out over the scarriness of new foods. I have been trying to stuff seeds in the raspberries and they still don't trust that it is edible. From what I have read raspberries seem to be a budgie favorite.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Both birds are absolutely gorgeous :loveeyes:! Sounds like you've made a lot of progress with bonding. Good luck with getting them to eat veggies!
Thanks, they are cuties aren't they:). I hear it is a challenge once the pet store starts them on seeds. They won't even eat the pellets in their food.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.