Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I wasn't sure if I should put this post here or under "stories", but I guess it could go either way.

Short story here, 2 years ago I purchased my first budgie thinking it was an albino. And until last night I found out it wasn't an albino! :eek: I was looking at this website http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#spangle . Until I saw the spangle section. (I actually saw this site before but I was too lazy to look at them all and try to memorize it). :rolleyes: And so last night I actually took time to read it and was surprised by what I found.

My only question is, can double factor spangles have red eyes that fade darker when they grow older? :S Because when I first bought her I thought she had red eyes = albino. But recently I purchased, what I'm pretty sure are 2 albinos, and noticed that my older/first one had darker eyes. So I was like, hmm that's funny. Plus I noticed that the albinos had no aparent cheek patches while my double spangle had white cheek patches that were, I guess you could say kinda reflective white, instead of nothing at all.

Ok, so here's a picture of Moonlight, my double spangle.

And here's a picture of 3 of my budgies, going back to forward, Moonlight, Buster, and Rosie. You can tell Rosie has very red eyes which is the albino factor, Buster has black eyes, and Moonlight has, I guess you could call it plum colored eyes. I know it's really hard to see but she has white irises and one of my other older albinos not in the photo has reddish eyes with blue irises.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure Moonlight is a double spangle, not an albino. I guess it's kinda funny.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have only studied that website a little and I'd say albino too and what is that bump on her nose? Food stuck? =/

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
I have only studied that website a little and I'd say albino too and what is that bump on her nose? Food stuck? =/
It is just her cere. She is either going out of or coming into breeding condition and therefore her cere is dark brown and crusty :)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
That is a hen in condition, it's perfectly normal :) When in condition they develop a brown bumpy cere and when they go out of condition it falls off.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
yep, still an albino! a df spangle will have black eyes with an iris ring. they also usually have a darker beak and feet whereas the albino has all colour removed from the beak and skin.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you sure she's an albino? She has white irises, while one of my albinos has blue irises...? So yeah... confusing...? :S

·
Has MBS :)
10,136 Posts
Shes albino.
On the website it says for Double Factor Spangle - "A genetically double-factor spangle budgie is all clear (all yellow or all white) with normal eyes (black with light irises at maturity)"
If her eyes are plum, not black, shes an albino.

·
Human Bird Gym
2,669 Posts
Yes, she's albino. I also have a female albino with plum eyes (they never seem to show up in pics though :S) Im fairly certain that the difference in iris color could just be because they are different ages. The older the bird gets (until they mature), the lighter it's irises get. The one with blue iris rings is probably younger (and Im assuming they're a greyish blue?)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
red eyes with white irises is normal for an albino, your one with the blue irises must look interesting!
Yeah she does. I tried taking pics of her eyes but the camera can't get a good zoom of them. I'm going to keep trying though so I can post them. ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
red eyes with white irises is normal for an albino, your one with the blue irises must look interesting!
Here's Icy with her blue irises. That's about as good of a picture as I can get of them. I'm going to make a seperate post too to show them off. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.