Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
You don't realise but you're actually going to be causing issues in the long run when it comes to earning your bird's trust. His whole life has been uprooted, he went from somewhere he's known his entire life with his friends and family, to all of a sudden being in a brand new environment where everything is different and scary and he's by himself with no backup. He's letting you stroke his chest and is stepping up because he's extremely vulnerable and submissive right now. Put yourself in his shoes, you're so completely frozen in fear and then a giant hand reaches in, you wouldn't want to move or startle whatever this thing is. You definitely wouldn't trust it. It's been a few days, he needs a couple of weeks at least.

You need to ease up and just let him settle in without interfering. Let him get used to his environment first, and then start getting him used to you. The only thing you should be doing right now is being nearby to let him get used to your presence, but you shouldn't be invading his personal space. I hand reared my two girls and when we moved apartment (they were a year old), they were terrified for 3 weeks, I gave them their space to acclimate, and that's with two birds who utterly trust me.

As for letting him out the cage, it's way too soon. But when you do decide to let him out, he isn't going to hide or get into trouble. He'll go for the big landmark items to land on just because he'll be feeling overwhelmed at the new experience, stuff like curtain rails, AC split units, pullup bars, the top of his cage. Just make sure there's nothing he can hurt himself on, like uncovered mirrors or windows.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts