Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many times as I try to wrap my head around this, I come back confused. Let's see if I'm right.

Opaline is sexlinked so only males can be split for it. So if I have a normal **** with a hen and I get an opaline baby that means the **** is split for opaline.

And the baby would be a HEN?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Ok - I get that and if.................

A **** bird is Opaline and the hen is normal - any chick hatched who is opaline is a hen and any males born to that pair will be split for opaline?

Is that right?

If so - I may have another question :D

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok - I get that and if.................

A **** bird is Opaline and the hen is normal - any chick hatched who is opaline is a hen and any males born to that pair will be split for opaline?

Is that right?

If so - I may have another question :D
Hmm a opaline **** and normal hen = opaline hens. I agree.

It is sexlinked like cinnamon and in my research: Hens will pass their cinnamon gene on to all sons and none of their daughters. Also: For a **** to be split cinnamon either its father was a cinnamon and its mother a normal, or the mother was a cinnamon and the father was normal (or split cinnamon). If the **** birds mother in this case was cinnamon he is definately split for it, which also explains why the hen you have is cinnamon

So based on that the **** chicks would all be split opaline.

To elaborate: Just trying to think this out out load. If it was a normal **** and opaline hen. The hen would pass on the opaline gene to all her sons. But they will be split for it right?

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
I say they would be split for it.

So (hoping experts come in) if:

Opaline is sexlinked so only males can be split for it. So if I have a normal **** with a hen and I get an opaline baby that means the **** is split for opaline.

And the baby would be a HEN? Answer - Yes

You got it. A hen can never be split for opaline.

A **** bird is Opaline and the hen is normal - any chick hatched who is opaline is a hen and any males born to that pair will be split for opaline? Answer Yes

It is sexlinked like cinnamon and in my research: Hens will pass their cinnamon gene on to all sons and none of their daughters. Also: For a **** to be split cinnamon either its father was a cinnamon and its mother a normal, or the mother was a cinnamon and the father was normal (or split cinnamon). If the **** birds mother in this case was cinnamon he is definately split for it, which also explains why the hen you have is cinnamon

To elaborate: Just trying to think this out out load. If it was a normal **** and opaline hen. The hen would pass on the opaline gene to all her sons. But they will be split for it right - Answer - I guess so

:) Right then - question time......... How do we get Opaline **** birds?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I say they would be split for it.

So (hoping experts come in) if:

And the baby would be a HEN? Answer - Yes

You got it. A hen can never be split for opaline.

A **** bird is Opaline and the hen is normal - any chick hatched who is opaline is a hen and any males born to that pair will be split for opaline? Answer Yes

To elaborate: Just trying to think this out out load. If it was a normal **** and opaline hen. The hen would pass on the opaline gene to all her sons. But they will be split for it right - Answer - I guess so

:) Right then - question time......... How do we get Opaline **** birds?
:eek: From an opaline hen. ? The opaline hen must pass it on to her sons not in hidden form. We need an expert because now I'm confused!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
male opalines have two copies of the gene, one from each parent.

so you need an opaline hen and either an opaline or split **** to get male opalines.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
male opalines have two copies of the gene, one from each parent.

so you need an opaline hen and either an opaline or split **** to get male opalines.
Ohh thanks Toni!

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Thanks Toni - I had all that confusion brewing in me talking about opaline hens and I couldn't figure out how we could get opaline males - makes sense now :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.