Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

This is my new budgie. it is supposed to be standard (show or English however you call it), and it color mutation is Opaline. What i wonder is if this is girl or a boy? the bird is still very young (only 3 months old)

So please hit me with your answers male/female?

thank you very much

Nikola

Attachments

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
I would say girl because there's white around the nares, but I'm not an expert and I'm sure someone who is will come along and tell you for sure!! Very pretty budgie :)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
The pictures look like they are taken with flash. I am inclined to think male because of the color but need a photo w/o flash as it shows white around the nostrils. And if there is truly white, it's a hen.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes ... the photos are with flash since they were made late in the night. today i will try to make photo without flash.

however i think there is white around the nostrils. but just to be sure i will put some new photos without flash today, and i hope to hear from you guys soon.

N.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Are the parents visually opaline? If not you have a female. If the male is opaline you also have a female. If both are opaline, my theory is sunk.
I'm thinking male.

PS - white around the nostrils doesn't mean much. It's the overall colour that counts.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are the parents visually opaline? If not you have a female. If the male is opaline you also have a female. If both are opaline, my theory is sunk.
I'm thinking male.

PS - white around the nostrils doesn't mean much. It's the overall colour that counts.
the father is split for opaline *not visual opaline* the mother is opaline, which again gives 50-50 chances for both males and females in the offspring to be opaline....

grrr this means several months headbanging of the wall while waiting for the result... i hope it is a girl:budgie:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
need natural light photos
cant make any during the week because when i go to work it is dark, when i come back not enough daylight. i made some pics under the light of my fluorescent lighbulbs, and without flash this time. i hope this helps to determine the gender.

thank you very much for your effort

Nikola

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.