Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that on the back of Ron's neck there aren't bars, there are what look like spots. I've not seen it on any other birds, but I might just have missed it. Why is it like that?

Thanks.

(I'll try to get a better pic)

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Phoenix has that too..i always thought it was the opaline
interesting to see what others think!

odd you cant see ti too well in this pic

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it was too, but Jo's also an opaline and she just has the normal bars.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Im not sure what you are referring to? Opaline is a melanin re-distributing gene, so instead of the normal black and white head, neck and shoulder striations, you get few if any head and neck markings and instead get what is referred to as 'grizzled' black. Its a patchy uneven and randomized distribution of black (melanin). It also re-distributes body colour spreading it into the wings and shoulders, sometimes up the neck and head too (head and neck colour is referred to as suffusion and is a show fault). The lack of black + the presence of body colour in a V shape on the back of opalines is a distinguishing mark of opalines.

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it's normal for an opaline to have sort of incomplete bars across the back of their necks? I'd not noticed it on other other opalines, that's all. Jo has paler bars, but they're complete rather than with gaps like with Ron. (Sorry if that doesn't make sense)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Yes its normal, since the opaline just re-distibutes the black colour it is random in every opaline, although there is a 'general' look most show opalines try to conform to.

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh okay, I understand now. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.