Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just a quick question to see if i have got it right

I have a baby budgie that i'm pretty sure is an opaline (can't get pic right now)
but the parents are a normal sky blue male and normal cobalt female.

If I'm right and it is an opaline does that mean that it is a female and that the dad must be split opaline.

Probably sounds like a silly question but i'm still getting the hang of the genetics which is a lot harder then i thought it would be.

I'll try getting a pic up soon just to see if anyone can tell me if he/she is an opaline or not as it wouldn't surprise me if i've got it wrong lol

Thanks
Craig

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Hi

Just a quick question to see if i have got it right

I have a baby budgie that i'm pretty sure is an opaline (can't get pic right now)
but the parents are a normal sky blue male and normal cobalt female.

If I'm right and it is an opaline does that mean that it is a female and that the dad must be split opaline.

Probably sounds like a silly question but i'm still getting the hang of the genetics which is a lot harder then i thought it would be.

I'll try getting a pic up soon just to see if anyone can tell me if he/she is an opaline or not as it wouldn't surprise me if i've got it wrong lol

Thanks
Craig
You are correct. :D

If two non-opalines produce an opaline chick, then dad is split to opaline and the opaline chick is female. See http://www.***************/gen_opaline.html (bottom left punnet square).

·
5,435 Posts
If the chick has/had white baby down, I think that means she's opaline. Normal chicks have grey down.

I want to see a picture! :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info and the link

she is 3 weeks old and yes here body color is bleeding into her wings.

Also she is only 3 weeks old and she is massive lol. I only got 2 babies from the clutch that she was in and the other one seems to be normal size, but this one is nearly twice the size of my other 2 pairs chicks and they are a week older is this normal.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the pics of her sorry they are not great but they are so active its hard to get them to stay still for 2 seconds for a pic lol

And here is the younger one as i couldn't resist taking one of him/her.

And lastly this one i'm lucky to still have as one of my pairs destroyed all her eggs except for one so i put it with the other 2 chicks parents.

This ones parents are YF type 1 Cobalt Male and Grey-green Opaline

So if i have the 1st chick wrong and she is not an opaline please let me know, and also if you wouldn't mind letting me know if i've got it right too, I know i'm learning slowly then LOL

Thanks again
Craig

·
5,435 Posts
Yep the 1st one is Opaline - it's a Cobalt Opaline :)
I agree with expert ATVChick: the first one is opaline cobalt. (Blue triangle between the shoulder blades, light head markings and white baby down.) She's gorgeous! :loveeyes:

The second one is normal (black and white feathers and grey down).

The third one from different parents is opaline (white baby down).

You have three cuties on your hands! :loveeyes:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for confirming that for me, its nice to know i'm actually getting somewhere with getting the mutations right although that probably should have been an easy one LOL

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with expert ATVChick: the first one is opaline cobalt. (Blue triangle between the shoulder blades, light head markings and white baby down.) She's gorgeous! :loveeyes:

The second one is normal (black and white feathers and grey down).

The third one from different parents is opaline (white baby down).

You have three cuties on your hands! :loveeyes:
Yep they are cute, I'm hand rearing them at the moment so i'm getting really attached to them going to be hard when they have to go but luckily they are all going to family members so i'll still see them

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for taking the time to give me some info on this.

Also I'm pretty new to breeding and have only had 2 baby budgies before these which were 2 violet spangles but the second chick looks completely grey, do all cobalt budgies start like this or is there a chance that s/he could be grey. (I personally would not have thought so as dad is a normal sky blue and mum is normal cobalt)

I apologize if that made no sense LOL

Thanks again i really do appreciate everyones advice and expertise.

Craig

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
nope you can't get a grey budgie if niether parent has a grey factor

Could be Mauve - it's been confused for Grey before but the tail feathers to me look Cobalt

Do you have a picture of the parents.

Also if you are talking about the down feathers being so dark grey- that isn't the babys actual body color - the body color feathers haven't started coming in yet- but with down that dark The baby has a Dark factor and isn't going to be a light colored bird(like sky blue) if you look closely at his/her tail feathers the color is coming through on it and it looks cobalt to me in the pictures

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Could be Mauve - it's been confused for Grey before but the tail feathers to me look Cobalt

Also if you are talking about the down feathers being so dark grey- that isn't the babys actual body color - the body color feathers haven't started coming in yet- but with down that dark The baby has a Dark factor and isn't going to be a light colored bird(like sky blue) if you look closely at his/her tail feathers the color is coming through on it and it looks cobalt to me in the pictures
You know i didn't even notice the color in the pic lol
in person you can't really see it. (probably more to do with my eyesight than anything else)

I will get a pic of their parents but will have to wait till the morning.

Thanks

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
You know i didn't even notice the color in the pic lol
in person you can't really see it. (probably more to do with my eyesight than anything else)

I will get a pic of their parents but will have to wait till the morning.

Thanks
:giggle: don't feel bad, I've done it with my own birds- Didn't notice color until I was looking at the pics I uploaded then I'd have to go back and look to make sure i wasn't seeing things lol

·
5,435 Posts

I'd like to see the parents, too.

Craig said the parents are sky blue and cobalt; consequently, chicks can only be sky blue or cobalt, not mauve.

Second chick is probably cobalt, as ATVChick pointed out using her keen powers of observation. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally got pics of the parents and what mutations i thought they were although i don't know if they are any good as i had to use my phone so sorry

You will have to excuse the mess of them they had just had their greens LOL

Here is the parents of the 1st 2 chicks
Mum - Normal Cobalt

Dad - Normal Sky Blue

And here are the fostered chicks parents
Mum - Grey Green Opaline (Crest Bred)

Dad - YF Type 1 Cobalt (this is an old picture, just thought i would mention it as he looks really young)

·
5,435 Posts
I'm not an expert but I agree with your assessment of parents' mutations ... FWIW. :p

As I said, the chicks from the first pair can only be sky blue or cobalt because their parents are sky blue (no dark factors) and cobalt (one dark factor). See http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#darkfactor and http://www.***************/gen_darkfactor.html.

The chick from second pair will be green or grey-green unless the hen is split to blue, in which case the chick will be blue or grey.

If the second dad (the yellow face) is not split to opaline, then all the male chicks will be visually normal but split to opaline and all the female chicks will be normals. But if second dad is split to opaline, then 1/2 the male and female chicks will be normals and the other 1/2 will be opalines. See http://www.***************/gen_opaline.html.

As I said earlier, I think the chick from second set of parents is opaline due to white baby down; if so, then its dad is split to opaline and chick's gender could be male or female.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not an expert but I agree with your assessment of parents' mutations ... FWIW. :p

As I said, the chicks from the first pair can only be sky blue or cobalt because their parents are sky blue (no dark factors) and cobalt (one dark factor). See http://www.***************/colorsguide.html#darkfactor and http://www.***************/gen_darkfactor.html.

The chick from second pair will be green or grey-green unless the hen is split to blue, in which case the chick will be blue or grey.

If the second dad (the yellow face) is not split to opaline, then all the male chicks will be visually normal but split to opaline and all the female chicks will be normals. But if second dad is split to opaline, then 1/2 the male and female chicks will be normals and the other 1/2 will be opalines. See http://www.***************/gen_opaline.html.

As I said earlier, I think the chick from second set of parents is opaline due to white baby down; if so, then its dad is split to opaline and chick's gender could be male or female.
Thanks for the info on the 1st 2 chicks and as for the fostered chicks dad being split opaline, he could be i really don't know about any of the parents of the budgies i have atm so hopefully i'm in for some surprises when i breed them lol

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Nice looking Parents :)

both the babies from the 1st pair (cobalt with sky blue) are Cobalt - which is why the 2nd ones Down feathers are so dark grey - it has to do with the Dark factor :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.