Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mama Bird
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I always know i can ask and trust all the experts here on mutations. :)

I think I know the mutation on the first one, but i'm not sure on the second!

I think he is a Type2 Yellowface Grey Dominant Pied (opaline?)

I think grey and not mauve because he has grey cheek patches

This one is a little more confusing for me... i think i see opaline and dominant pied, but what else i'm not sure... he's such a soft pretty color.

Back view (with a horrible wing-clipping)

Together

I have a few more pictures in another thread i posted if you want to take a look.
http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=75327

It looks like they are starting their first molts.... guesses on age based on iris rings?

Also, i got them from the same place at the same time.... what do you think the chances are that they are related (from the same clutch) based on their mutations?

Thanks!

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Yellow face opaline dominant pied grey
Greywing opaline dominant pied light green

They both look about 3 or 4 months old and they could easily be siblings

Yes, the wing clipping has ruined the look of what would otherwise be two beautiful birds

·
Registered
100 Posts
single factor Yellowface Mutant 2 Opaline Dom Pied Grey.
Dom Pied Opaline Dilute Light Green. I say dilute because the body colour is very diluted and there are no marking which is what I would expect. If it was Greywing the body colour would be darker and there would be markings. Cheek patch is an indicator. Another possibility is Cinnamon Clearwing.

I would agree with Nev about the wing clipping and ages.

·
Mama Bird
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yellow face opaline dominant pied grey
Greywing opaline dominant pied light green

They both look about 3 or 4 months old and they could easily be siblings

Yes, the wing clipping has ruined the look of what would otherwise be two beautiful birds
single factor Yellowface Mutant 2 Opaline Dom Pied Grey.
Dom Pied Opaline Dilute Light Green. I say dilute because the body colour is very diluted and there are no marking which is what I would expect. If it was Greywing the body colour would be darker and there would be markings. Cheek patch is an indicator. Another possibility is Cinnamon Clearwing.

I would agree with Nev about the wing clipping and ages.
Thank you for your replies! :)
Yes, i cannot wait for their wings to grow out. Luckily i think they are starting to moult, so hopefully it won't be too long before they start looking better and are able to fly.

I had a feeling they might be related. ;)
There were quite a few birds there but i was immediately drawn to these two- i've learned so much about mutations from this forum, but still get confused sometimes. The lack of markings on the second bird really threw me off... greywing, dilute, cinnamon clearwing... will it become more apparent what he is after he moults?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Lovely birds, especially the first one. What is the mutation of the second one? I trust Nev - he knows a lot, but RIPbudgies seems to know a lot too. Maybe Nev can tell us why he think it is a greywing.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
I would agree with Nev with the 2nd being a greying - I can only go on instinct and that was my first thought :)

Beautiful birds :D

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
You that are in this "business" for such a long time surely has some instinct; so we have to believe you, but it would be nice if someone can explain why it is a greywing. what are the indicators?

·
Mama Bird
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very beautiful birds! :)

They will certainly look more beautiful once the wing feathers grow back.

Thank you. :) I am quite smitten with them both.

I would agree with Nev with the 2nd being a greying - I can only go on instinct and that was my first thought :)

Beautiful birds :D
Thanks for your input! My first guess when i saw him was greywing, but then i thought maybe cinnamon because he doesn't really look my other greywings... i don't know though, i'm definitely not a mutations expert. That's what i have TB for. ;)

You that are in this "business" for such a long time surely has some instinct; so we have to believe you, but it would be nice if someone can explain why it is a greywing. what are the indicators?
Lovely birds, especially the first one. What is the mutation of the second one? I trust Nev - he knows a lot, but RIPbudgies seems to know a lot too. Maybe Nev can tell us why he think it is a greywing.
I would love to know too. RIP mentioned something about the cheek patches- maybe he can elaborate on what it is about those cheek patches that makes him say "dilute". Also, what are other clues to distinguish between these different mutations? I think that when you have multiple mutation on one bird it can get a little less cut and dry.

·
Mama Bird
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Mama Bird
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would expect to see violet in the cheek patches if a cinnamon and your little beauties seem to be blue :s
Ah~ I see. So much to know. So much to learn! :) What about in a dilute?

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Dilutes are not my strong point in all honesty, but in saying that there are certain elements of mutations that still go over my head. I bow down to the likes of Nev and his knowledge

It is increasingly difficult when there is a mix of mutations as you mentioned too :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
There is a very thin line between a pale greywing and a dark dilute. I said greywing because I didn't think the body colour was diluted enough for a dilute. It could be either.

The cheek patches are not right for a cinnamon but if the cinnamon was combined with clearwing it is a possibility

RIP may not be as old as I am but she is extremely knowlegable about budgies

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
There is a very thin line between a pale greywing and a dark dilute. I said greywing because I didn't think the body colour was diluted enough for a dilute. It could be either.

The cheek patches are not right for a cinnamon but if the cinnamon was combined with clearwing it is a possibility

Great info Nev! :)

Always love your explanation.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Firstly I am a she and I think I could be closer to your age than you might think Nev.

With a bird such as this there is a lot of guess work. I mentioned Cinnamon Clearwing because I breed them and I know what they look like and they are quite clear in marking with paler cheek patches than a regular Clearwing.

Nev already mentioned pale Greywings and darker Dilutes. These are the extreme of the variation of these mutations.

There is just not enough to go on to make a 100% identification. We can get close and if you want to know for sure the first I would do is to pair it to a Normal Dilute not split for anything except maybe Blue and this will then tell you which of the 'dilute alleles' is involved.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Thanks for all the explanations. there you have it, Christine. You won't be sure until you have bred with it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.