Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

i was browsing and came across a thread (on another forum) that said 'orange budgie' so i took a look
and it came up asn the below...what could it be?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The usual culprit behind the "pink budgie!!!" "orange budgie!!" "NEW COLOURED [email protected]!" threads or rumors are usually mineral blocks. Although some people have been known to feed their budgies diets adulterated with dyes and other colour additives that can affect skin/feather colour.

·
Human Bird Gym
2,669 Posts
The usual culprit behind the "pink budgie!!!" "orange budgie!!" "NEW COLOURED [email protected]!" threads or rumors are usually mineral blocks. Although some people have been known to feed their budgies diets adulterated with dyes and other colour additives that can affect skin/feather colour.
That makes sense if they fed it something. What doesn't make sense is how only those feathers (which a mineral block couldn't get to) got dyed... :S

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
some people have been known to feed their budgies diets adulterated with dyes and other colour additives that can affect skin/feather colour.
that makes sence.
i think its really nice:) it doesnt harm the budgie though?

·
Long Term Active Member Award April 2015
4,532 Posts
I know in zoos they feed the flamingos carrot juice to keep their "pink " color . In the wild it comes from the crustaceans that they eat and would fade if not fed the carrot juice. It could be something like a lot of carrots in the diet at the time the feathers were growing in. Or it could of been fed red factor canary food. I wonder if that would dye the feathers to? Either way it is striking.

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know in zoos they feed the flamingos carrot juice to keep their "pink " color . In the wild it comes from the crustaceans that they eat and would fade if not fed the carrot juice. It could be something like a lot of carrots in the diet at the time the feathers were growing in. Or it could of been fed red factor canary food. I wonder if that would dye the feathers to? Either way it is striking.
aw ive wondered why ive seen white Flamingos..now it all makes sence:p

·
♥Budgies No.1 fan♥
3,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
do you think..if i fed an albino this canary red colouring food that it would turn orange?
that would be really cool:)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
It looks to me like someone with a brush and some hair dye has been playing tricks

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
It could actually be a mineral block. if you look between its beak and cheek in the top picture, there is a small mark. My mineral block gets wet when I spray the budgies, and adterwards they try and take baths on it, making all there wing feathers,bellies and backs(?) blue. It is pretty funny when my White lacewing does it.. She gets filthy! I think she wishes she was a blue budgie!

·
Long Term Active Member Award April 2015
4,532 Posts
I have a mineral block treat dish...basically a mineral block in the shape of a bowl. It came with 3 little seed discs for my p'let. He has not eatten the bowl at all but he stands on the edge of it to eat the seeds I put in there and gets his feet all bluish green. The first time I saw his feet this color I thought he had poor circulation...lol. His rope perch is also green from where he hops from the mineral bowl onto the rope.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.