Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was just trying to use Cliff123 Outcomes Calculator but it doesn't seem to want to work? Is it still in use or is there another site I can go. I can't seem to get the knack of reading the punnet squares.

I have a few new females and was wondering who to pair them up with.:S

·
Registered
381 Posts
why don't you just write out the traits of each and what you want, and we can try to calculate as best we can. I love punnet square problems

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you I will try that website.
Okay, I will say what they are. I was going to post some pictures but I need to take new ones so I will do that maybe tomorrow.
I have a female yellow DEC.
The available males are sky blue dominant pied, light green opaline split recessive pied and blue.
Also is the clear flight gene in a DEC dominant if I paired her with a normal?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Do you want the baby to be DEC?
Clearflight is dominant, so if it is purebred (like double factor) clearflight, then the babies will all be clearflight. If it is hybrid (one allele), then statistically speaking, you can expect half the babies to be clearflight.

What do you mean about the green and the blue? I'll need a picture for that.

If you want DEC babies, you need to breed with the split recessive pied.
If she is purebred for clearflight, you might have 50% DEC's. If she is hybrid, then 25% DEC. You can expect 50% recessive pied and 50% split recessive pied. Assuming the father is also yellow based (unless you have yellow face, I really need pics), you have at least 75% chance of the babies being yellow based as well, depending on if one of them is split for white. You can also expect all the girls to be opaline. There will be no opaline boys unless the mother is also masking opaline.

You will have no DEC's with the dominant pied. The kids ought to be 50% to 100% clearflight, (pay attention to the babies. If you have one that isn't clearflight, you know the mom has only one clearflight gene for future reference.) and since you don't know if she has dark factor or not, no telling what kind of blue will show up on the kids. They should be 50% to 100% yellow. If you get a white, you know to expect 50% white next time.

I hope that isn't too confusing. It should be an easy choice if you are just trying to get DEC's, at least.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for that. I think I understand most of it. I will post some picture tomorrow. The opaline light green is split for blue since one of his babies last clutch was blue. That may be the best pairing. I really like recessive pieds and she is the most beautiful clear bright yellow so DEC would be nice too.
If I put the dominant pied with a normal I should get dominant pieds, correct?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.