Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These two are currently paired with 6 chicks. Just wondering what I should expect.

Chick #1 is looking just like dad
Chick #2 is an opaline male meaning dad must be split opaline
Chick #3 is also looking opaline
Chick #4 is looking pied?

No clue on the youngest two.

Nixie is a Goldenface cobalt opaline split for greywing (I've bred her before)

T.Bow is a Goldenface cobalt greywing split for opaline.. not so sure on the goldenface anymore since one of the chicks isn't showing any yellow.. or how does goldenface work? I thought that by pairing two goldenfaces you get all goldenfaced chicks, yes no? His markings are all dark grey not black, lighter gray tail feathers and flights. He has a very small spot on the back of his head. I assumed at first that it was a feather out of place :rolleyes: due to how small it is, I didn't think it meant he had a pied gene at all!

But even if he was split recessive pied, there shouldn't be any pied chicks but split for it right? So I'm guessing Nixie is split recessive pied as well? or did I get something wrong :S

Also, all chicks have white down.. if that helps.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
hi there,

firstly if both parents are sf goldenface then some of hte chicks will recieve no golden face genes at all, so be white faced.

if you are getting rec pied chicks then both parents must be split.

white down can be seen in pieds and opalines, any normal chicks would have grey down.

the male seems very dark to be a greywing, but if he is you should have some greywing chicks in there too.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you Tonic and Neville! that really answers most of my questions :D

So I was missing that 25% there with the goldenfaces, I somehow thought the pairing would only produce double factors and single factors. That explains the white faced chick.

Last time I bred Nixie she had two greywing chicks, they were the only ones in that clutch with white down, all the others had grey down. So I'm guessing greywings get white down? Chick 1 is a normal and he has white down.. he does have dark grey markings.

Yes T.Bow compared to my other greywings does have very dark markings but they are not black? So if he is not a greywing what would you call him? His flight and tail feathers are lighter :S

Some of the chicks have the same dark grey markings.

Another one of T.Bow

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm? I wonder if they were white because they were split for opaline or because they were greywing? :S
Because the were greywing. I had other two males split for opaline in that clutch and they were normals with grey down

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Greywings don't always have white down

Opalines always have white down

Recessive pieds often have white down too

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Greywings don't always have white down

Opalines always have white down

Recessive pieds often have white down too
Thank you Nev!!!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like T.Bow is a greywing after all :D

There's also two other greywing chicks in the clutch, only they have dark grey markings just like dad. The other three chicks have black markings.

I'm assuming that there's variations in the greywing coloration then? Since I got dark grey wings and light greywings. Just like in body color?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.