I mustache you all some questions about uncaged budgies so we get off on the right track.
1. How do you manage droppings?
2. What do you do about food and water?
3. What about the mineral block/cuttlebone?
4. House prep never done?
Svrčko/Cricket seems to have most certainly come from a house where he was not caged. I brought him to my home yesterday afternoon, and though today marks 30 days quarantine, I'm keeping him in a separate room from Chiribiri until the psittacosis tests come back later this week.
1. Cricket absolutely hates the small cage, so.. I let him out. He had no issues coming out, and has been completely fearless. He explored the entire room, some minimal bonking, and perched himself right on the grapevine perch, and ultimately broke into song. Poops are going everywhere, and I can't really keep up... . I suspect my lifestyle with Chiribiri's confined area of cleanliness will develop into an unpleasant OCD until we figure this out
My goal is to hopefully get them "stationed" and on play areas, but until then... help?!
2. I thought he'd go back into the cage when he was hungry, but he did not. Ended up flying to the floor and pecking like a chicken for any kind of food. Ultimately, I had to lure him with millet onto my hand and back to the cage. He ate. But this morning.. he refused to eat until I let him out, and he was begging for food. He took food from my hand without a second thought. Will he learn to go back into the cage for food once he's in a large cage permanently, or will I need to keep food and water outside for him? UPDATE: As I wrote this, he went into his cage for water! But he's begging for food again and refuses to go in and eat.. 🤦♂️
3. I guess same like #2.. once he's in the big cage with or without Chiribiri, will he know to go into the cage for scrubbing the mineral block, beak sharpening, etc?
4. The reality of something dangerous in the house never hits.. I forgot to get rid of one toxic plant, and he landed on the plant as part of his exploration and began to try to take a bite of it.. I shooed him away and removed the plant. Then he flew to a shelf and started chewing on a remote, then he landed on my spider plant and started playing/chewing the leaves, and now he's chewing on a lamp. And I'm wondering what else I forgot to budgie proof and it's become abundantly clear I cannot leave them outside, unattended! oi.
Trying not to panic. 😬