Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
Last time on the thrilling saga of Chiribiri's diet conversion: Outsmarting the bird, part 2
As of early January, he now eats crushed Harrison's super fine pellets, ranges from 0.5-1g daily. Out of focus evidence:

He refuses them, albeit politely, if offered in the dish. Completely ignores them in the bowl attached to the cage. Must be served from betwixt the digits, and must be gently crushed (not pulverized or powdered or whole) or it's a deal breaker. We do this 2-5 times per day, and he'll eat a little over 1/2g.

Is this my life now?!

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was seriously considering making a 3D print of my hand until this morning's events... a couple teaspoons of crushed pellet, 1/8th tsp canned sweet potato, and 1/8th tsp water to make a rough, crumbly texture - like the cookie, but omitting the egg and not baked. He ate this from the dish, in the cage, without my intervention 🥳

Follow-up questions: can this be fed everyday for 6-8 weeks? Canned sweet potato varies drastically at the store, the brand I found (Organic Sweet Potato | Farmer's Market Foods) is organic, no added sugar, and has 7g sugar on the nutrition label, compared to 20g in another. I had been using their canned pumpkin which has just under half the sugar, but it's not currently available. Since this is the first day, it's hard to tell how much of this mix he will eat (2tsp of the mash is A LOT). It's not much different from the fruit-juice method, now that I think about it :)

I'm asking this question because I would now work on weening him off the mix, however, he's going to the care of family for the next 6 weeks and his feeding needs to be as simple as possible for family, to make sure there are no errors. It would also allow him to eat the nutritional pellets without family having to hand-feed him the crushed ones daily (which they are willing to do but it is a real burden).

Thoughts?

· Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have time to make it for them before I leave (tomorrow); they could potentially make it themselves, too, but it's just easier to just have them open a can, the simpler the better. We're already dealing with a huge issue of heating - gas line has been turned off due to a leak so now we are scrambling to try to find a way to keep the bird warm (ranges 49-52F at night per my measurements) - I think I can use my heating matt with PID controller to keep it from getting too hot. Oi, always something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts