Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Paddington (or Paddy for short which suits considering his green Irish colouring) is not a vegie lover. When the breeder dropped him off she left me some snow peas, carrot and other vegies he ate. She said "He loves his vegies."

He has not eaten ONE vegie, well maybe a tiny bit of a sprout one day. When I was at home and able to keep an eye on him I gave him no seed or pellets whatsoever and just gave him a mix of spinach leaves, celery, carrot, sprouts, an orange colourful cherry tomato cut up. He STARVED himself, ate not a spot until I put seed in.

I've tried putting it on the roof of his cage when he's out playing, putting in a pretty little dish, putting it on the paper at the base. I've kept putting it in every day hoping he would try it after a while but he hasn't - been two weeks now that I've had him. My budgies eat veggies every single day without a thought. How can I get this stubborn little green boy to eat veggies?

Worried mum :eek:

·
Registered
557 Posts
This seems to be a topic that's discussed a lot, so it doesnt' seem uncommon at all. Keep trying, and your bird might eventually decide to try :) I've been in both camps. My previous bird would eat just about anything. My current one (a budgie) eats seeds. I've spoken to my vet about it. She's not concerned as long as the bird gets vitamins (I add drops to her water) and plenty of exercise. I've changed her seed mix to one that includes dried fruit and veg. She eats the seeds and picks up the other bits and throws it on the floor.

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,707 Posts
You can try to sprinkle some seed on the veggies to see if he gives them a try.
Also while having your boy out for play time you can also pick a leafy veggie and pretend to eat it and even play little bit with it to see if Paddington gets curious. When my Khaleesi was a chick and I was weaning him out of the formula, that's how I got him into eating his veggies and fruit. We did play a bit with food, but in this case it was for a good cause! ;)

When Penguin came to me, she also wouldn't touch her greens, it was only after watching the budgies and my lovebird pair eating their veggies with gusto that she decided to be brave and try them out.
If you are unable to get Paddington into eating his veggies during quarantine, then after quarantine you can place his cage close and in view of your budgie boys and once he sees them eating their veggie meal he will soon follow suit.

Khaleesi, the lovebird flock and I are all rooting for Paddington and hope he will soon find out how tasty his veggies are! Good luck! :fingerx:

·
Administrator
59,649 Posts
My suggestion is that when you have Paddy out playing with him YOU eat some of veggies and make a big production of it.
Make excited, "this is so good!" noises, and demonstrate to him how much you like them.

If he's like Peachy, as soon as he seeing you eating it he's going to want to try a little too.
So, you can take a bite and then offer him a little taste.
After you do this for a few times he'll probably decide they are pretty good after all!

(Paddington is in his toddler/independent stage right now and trying to show that he doesn't have to do what you want him to! :giggle:)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This seems to be a topic that's discussed a lot, so it doesnt' seem uncommon at all. Keep trying, and your bird might eventually decide to try :) I've been in both camps. My previous bird would eat just about anything. My current one (a budgie) eats seeds. I've spoken to my vet about it. She's not concerned as long as the bird gets vitamins (I add drops to her water) and plenty of exercise. I've changed her seed mix to one that includes dried fruit and veg. She eats the seeds and picks up the other bits and throws it on the floor.
Thanks for the ideas and reassurance, much appreciated :)

You can try to sprinkle some seed on the veggies to see if he gives them a try.
Also while having your boy out for play time you can also pick a leafy veggie and pretend to eat it and even play little bit with it to see if Paddington gets curious. When my Khaleesi was a chick and I was weaning him out of the formula, that's how I got him into eating his veggies and fruit. We did play a bit with food, but in this case it was for a good cause! ;)

When Penguin came to me, she also wouldn't touch her greens, it was only after watching the budgies and my lovebird pair eating their veggies with gusto that she decided to be brave and try them out.
If you are unable to get Paddington into eating his veggies during quarantine, then after quarantine you can place his cage close and in view of your budgie boys and once he sees them eating their veggie meal he will soon follow suit.

Khaleesi, the lovebird flock and I are all rooting for Paddington and hope he will soon find out how tasty his veggies are! Good luck! :fingerx:
Ta Ana, great idea with watching the budgies boys which will be soon! He calls out to them now I'm pretty sure so I hope he copies their good habits and not their bad ones :rolleyes: Also I'll try 'playing with the food' to get him interested!

My suggestion is that when you have Paddy out playing with him YOU eat some of veggies and make a big production of it.
Make excited, "this is so good!" noises, and demonstrate to him how much you like them.

If he's like Peachy, as soon as he seeing you eating it he's going to want to try a little too.
So, you can take a bite and then offer him a little taste.
After you do this for a few times he'll probably decide they are pretty good after all!

(Paddington is in his toddler/independent stage right now and trying to show that he doesn't have to do what you want him to! :giggle:)
Thanks Deb. I will try that tomorrow with him with actually eating spinach etc and offering him some (I'll be healthier after all this!). I will be interested to see how he goes as he is very observant of all I do. I'll keep you guys posted on any progress with the independent little rascal! :budgie:

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really cannot believe this - doubting Thomas I am ;)

I ate some corn, peas and spinach at different times and did the whole "Yumm, this is soooo nice, mmm mmm" and within literally 2 seconds of trying the first thing I tried Mr Paddington was over like a shot and eating it too!! I think I'm just stunned how smart they are that they would even notice we are eating something, let alone try it as well.

So he's eaten those three things which is a great start. He's not doing so well at eating them by HIMSELF when I'm at work but at least he's eating them when I eat them :rolleyes: Thanks Deb and others for your suggestions. Such an adorable little rascal and hopefully soon to be a vegie eating little rascal.

Oh, something funny, last night I ate some strawberry in my room and he was in here too. I did the whole 'mmm' thing and offered him some and he squealed and flew away from it. I tried a couple of other times and he did the same and I worked out what was going on - he is SCARED of strawberries :bowrofl: I'll have to cut them into small pieces so he doesn't think it's a little evil red thing out to get him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.