Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hallo all,

...thus the "gene"-story continues!

More of my recent babies, this time from the bit "over-eager" but very good parents...always at least 6 or 7 chicks!

This time Peppermint may have said -"Stop, no more than 5 !"

Pair 3 (parents): "Peppermint" (hen) x "MilkyWay" (****)

They give me almost (as ATV would say) .to the "T" the same babies, only the shade varies...(these new ones are little sisters / brothers of "Frooty", "Royal-Blue" and "Yellow-Wing')

Peppermint_MilkyWay1.jpg

Here are the baby "bowl of flowers"!
Budgy0611_0012e1.jpg

Chick 1:
Budgy0611_0023e1.jpg

Chick 2:
Budgy0611_0026e1.jpg

Chick 3:
Budgy0611_0016e1.jpg

..others to follow shortly..

..genes of these are easy..although number 5 has me guessing?

Do U have any ideas / help?

Thx to all..
jacodk

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
...continued:

Chick 4:
Budgy0611_0021e1.jpg

Chick 5:
Budgy0611_0018e1.jpg

Enjoy...and let me know their body shades as well please, if possible!
Mom is Opaline...can u now already tell if any babies are split for it?

C U then later!
jacodK

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Chick 1 – Yellow face opaline cobalt
Chick 2 – T2 yellow face spangle sky blue
Chick 3 – T2 yellow face spangle cobalt
Chick 4 – T2 yellow face spangle cobalt
Chick 5 – T2 yellow face spangle (not sure of the shade but the yellow face might be double factor))

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
they're sooooooooooo cute!! I want them all :)
U actually can come & get them all....me just joking, knowing of course you're just too far to come collect!

...but serious now, I've had ~ 27 chicks from this little lady last year...and ~20 of them looked to a "T" the same...(a cinnamon, pied and sky-blue & DF Blue..the only deviations from the above "standard pattern" - the 2nd variation coming from mom's split for pied, I think)... I kept back 2 males & 1 hen...so there are plenty where these chicks come from it seems!

...this will however be the last set of chicks from them 2 (for now)...then I really need to pair-up Milky-Way with another "great girl" in waiting!

Enjoy Ur day!

PS - What is Julio's make-up...very nice looking chap..(I sometimes miss the "indoor-tame" birds, almost want to say they have more "character")..he seems like a Yellow-face..but is he "grey" in body colour?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chick 1 - Yellow face opaline cobalt
Chick 2 - T2 yellow face spangle sky blue
Chick 3 - T2 yellow face spangle cobalt
Chick 4 - T2 yellow face spangle cobalt
Chick 5 - T2 yellow face spangle (not sure of the shade but the yellow face might be double factor))
I'm very excited about this Nev!

You may have touched on something I've been missing all along...considering the last bird ....as noted above I've had quite a few of the same as no 5...the DF YF bit (both mom & dad has YF in them)

...and the past chicks all had "smokey" washed out Spangle wing markings....

Does the yellow in the wing markings (from the YF T2 gene) then in DF YF become "part removed"...just as the yellow is fully removed in the face?

..but alas I can be wrong again, as these "smokey wing"-marked birds still retained most if not all of their Yellow faces after 1st moult (the YF impact in face & wing actually, if the same as other brothers/sisters,..brightens up with age!)..

...here are a few typical ones..

Budgy10-2010_0069ed1.jpg

Budgy11-2010_0062e1.jpg

Budgy11-2010_0067e1.jpg

Unfortunately I never kept the above birds long enough to see how colour and pattern change with age!

thx, jdk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Chick 1 - Yellow face opaline cobalt
Chick 2 - T2 yellow face spangle sky blue
Chick 3 - T2 yellow face spangle cobalt
Chick 4 - T2 yellow face spangle cobalt
Chick 5 - T2 yellow face spangle (not sure of the shade but the yellow face might be double factor))
how do u tell the difference between T2 and T1 yellow face?

·
3,676 Posts
You may have touched on something I've been missing all along...considering the last bird ....as noted above I've had quite a few of the same as no 5...the DF YF bit (both mom & dad has YF in them)

...and the past chicks all had "smokey" washed out Spangle wing markings....

Does the yellow in the wing markings (from the YF T2 gene) then in DF YF become "part removed"...just as the yellow is fully removed in the face?

..but alas I can be wrong again, as these "smokey wing"-marked birds still retained most if not all of their Yellow faces after 1st moult (the YF impact in face & wing actually, if the same as other brothers/sisters,..brightens up with age!)..
Spangle wing markings often appear greyish.
The yellow is not as intense on double factor T2 yellow face as it is on a single factor and it spreads a lot less.
The yellow will always brighten up when the bird matures

how do u tell the difference between T2 and T1 yellow face?
The yellow spreads a lot more on a T2 than on a T1. Also the yellow is paler on a T1.

Sometimes it can be difficult to tell the difference between a double factor T2 and a single factor T1

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again Nev, for the clarification...(I'm sure over time all of this will "settle in")...

...and it's the YF T1, when in DF, that the yellow face of SF get's "washed-out" to become a normal white face (as in Cobalt normal)...correct?

·
3,676 Posts
...and it's the YF T1, when in DF, that the yellow face of SF get's "washed-out" to become a normal white face (as in Cobalt normal)...correct?
A double factor type 1 yellow face will look like a normal blue but it is not the same because when it is mated to a normal blue it will produce 100% yellow face chicks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.