Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I clean the bottom of my bird's cage, I remove the old paper towel (with their poop on it) and replace it with a new one. Today I caught Pippen, (The more naughty one :D) pecking and eating some of the paper towel. In my cage there is a removable bottom and then bars over it for the floor, so it was a spot that she was able to reach.

This freaked me out! I really need help here! What should I do, she might have been doing this for a while, or she could have just done it today!!! I really want the best for my birds, so I hope she doesn't get sick! Am I overreacting? :(

·
Registered
37,562 Posts
No you are not over reacting at all. You are correct in your assumption regarding eating paper towel or tissue or newsprint. These can cause an impacted crop issue or obstruction.
Female budgies in particular seem to love shredding and tearing type toys perhaps if you buy, or make some shredding toys from safe materials this will help with the problem. Or Budgies also love to forage, scatter some seed or crumbles around the bottom of her cage so she will find these and have a chew.:D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll make sure that she gets some healthy things to chew :D no need to sneakily tear towels, Pippen!

Do you have paper towels at the bottom of your cage, and if so, how do you keep your birds from eating them? :(
I hope she just did this today and hasn't been doing this for a while...

·
Registered
37,562 Posts
:DYes I use kitchen paper on the bottom of the cages, I change it every day I am lucky as my budgies are all males and they don't seem interested in chewing the paper. I think once you have some bright coloured shredding toys for her she will not be bothered with the paper towel.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: StarlingWings

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,995 Posts
I had the same problem with one of mine chewing on paper. Thankfully, like you, I asked advice on here and they mostly are much better about not chewing the paper any more. Occasionally they will but mostly, they chew their wood toys or other treats in their cage for that purpose. :) Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.