Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lovebird on a 100% Roudybush Pellet diet. I've offered fruits and veggies several times in the past and had no luck. I'm considering switching to 100% pellets for my new budgie and offering fresh fruits and veggies. I read in the past that a good quality all pellet diet is better for them. It's definitely less mess, actually none. Curious as to what you all think about a pellet diet with total exclusion of seed?? My lovebird is the only bird I've ever had to be on this diet as I became acquainted with pellets right before getting him so I immediately started him on them and he took right to them.

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,995 Posts
Budgies can be rather stubborn about switching so it might not be as easy to convince a budgie to switch diet.

I believe reading in the diet section of the forum that some seed should still be in a budgies diet. I would do some research first to make sure you are getting a correct balanced diet first. :)

·
Administrator
55,151 Posts

·
4,995 Posts
^That might be the case. I know with veggies it certainly worked with mine but none of mine eat pellets and they don't want to try them. But they will one day. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Michelle, are yours on an all pellet diet? No seed, pellets only with fresh fruits and veggies??
There is a lot of conflicting stuff out there to read on the subject. My lovebird is on a pellet seed-free diet and loves it and seems healthy and happy. It's just so confusing when you read otherwise! It would definitely make sense for me to get my new budgie on the same diet...unless I find that I'm doing more harm than good in the long run with my lovie.
I use Roudybush...you??

·
4,995 Posts
Michelle, are yours on an all pellet diet? No seed, pellets only with fresh fruits and veggies??
There is a lot of conflicting stuff out there to read on the subject. My lovebird is on a pellet seed-free diet and loves it and seems healthy and happy. It's just so confusing when you read otherwise! It would definitely make sense for me to get my new budgie on the same diet...unless I find that I'm doing more harm than good in the long run with my lovie.
I use Roudybush...you??
I'm unsure about love birds, but remember that seed are a natural part of a birds diet. I wouldn't suggest removing them completely. It might be cleaner but the small amount of seed a budgie would be on is minimal anyway.

Good luck either way.

·
Administrator
55,151 Posts
I have lovebirds as well as budgies.

All of my birds have pellets available 24/7 but they also get an appropriate ration of seed each day.

Michelle indicated in the other thread where you asked about diet that she sprouts seed for her budgies.

Seed is the natural diet of budgies in the wild.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why would you would want to eliminate seed entirely?

·
Super Moderator
1,547 Posts
I use Roudybush...you??
I use Roudybush as well.

I do give them seed, but only seed that is in various stages of sprouting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's been my understanding from some research I've done in the past that they get all the nutrition they need from pellets, a good quality one anyway. I'm just furthering my research to better understand since there are varying opinions. I didn't catch what was said about sprouted seed. That is something I will look into. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.