Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I know the answer to this but posting for confirmation, support, and tips. About 9 months ago, we took one of our budgies to the vet. The vet said that the bird was fine, but we need to take our birds off seeds and have them eating pellets. So he sold us on getting this 5 pound jumbo bag of Harrison's organic pellets. The birds wouldn't go near the pellets, and we gave up on trying to get them to eat the stuff. After 9 months, we took all 4 birds to the vet to get their nails clipped and have check-ups. The vet said that 3 of the birds are way overweight and that the weight of one of them, 90 grams, is unheard of. So he said we absolutely need to get them on pellets. We looked at the bag, and it says to use within 6 weeks of opening and recommends refrigeration to keep it fresher.

I suppose we have to throw out this super-jumbo bag, right? And then we'll have to order a smaller bag, and then go through the arduous task of getting our budgies to eat the stuff. Any suggestions though we be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
yeah, you'll have to toss it.
You could look into making birdie bread with crushed up pellets.
You'll have to transition them over slowly. You can crush up the pellets and sprinkle it all over their seed, get them used to the taste. Then after a few days/a week add the sprinkles and some pellets. When I was doing it I did a 10% change over 10 weeks. So week 1 it was 10% pellets, 90% seed, week 2 20% pellets to 80% seed, etc.

Do your budgies eat fresh vegetables?

·
Super Moderator
3,195 Posts
Conversion can take quite a long time, Harrison's is a great product but there are others that you may want to try that your birds may find more to their liking, a popular one is Zupreem, the ones for extra small birds are the same size as the Harrison pellets, and although it has a picture of a canary on the bag it is the same ingredients as the one with a budgie shown and I think the smaller size is better accepted. My birds will eat this but they will not eat Harrisons. Here is a link to the product I am referring to.
https://www.chewy.com/zupreem-fruit...MI2JyQiInE7gIVzcDACh3IJgEdEAQYAiABEgIUKfD_BwE

Roudybush is another popular one https://www.chewy.com/roudybush-daily-maintenance-crumble/dp/140659

·
Administrator
55,347 Posts
When I introduced pellets to my budgie, my Avian Vet recommended using Harrison's High Potency Mash and sprinkling it on the budgie's seed mix every day.
This way, when the budgie hulls the seed it tastes the pellet mash and ingests bits of it as well.
This helps the budgie identify the taste as a food source. ;)
It worked for my all of budgies and lovebirds!

Many members seem to find the easiest pellets to use for introducing pellets to their budgies to be the CANARY sized (XS) Zupreem fruity pellets.
Most budgies like the taste and the "Canary" sized pellets are tiny enough for them to easily eat them.
Once they've become accustomed to the Fruity Pellets, introducing the smallest "natural" pellets is then an easy step.

Other than when I was using the Harrison's mash, I've never mixed my birds' pellets and seed together.

My birds have Zupreem Fruity Pellets, RoudyBush Mini Natural Pellets, Dried Herb Salad and Miracle Meal available at all times.
(Yep - I have a lot of food dishes! :laughing:)

Their seed is rationed to approximately 1 1/2 teaspoons of seed per budgie each day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Do your budgies eat fresh vegetables?
Thanks so much for the advice. Yes, they eat romaine lettuce, baby spinach, and basil. We've tried to introduce to them to bunch of other vegetables, but these are the only ones that they've liked, although one of them did try a little bit of cucumber once. Generally, anything that's not green and leafy, or that's bitter, they don't like.

Thanks everyone for the awesome ideas about the mash and fruity pellets, etc. We'll try these out, and hopefully have more success.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.