Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Phoebe and Karl.

Phoebe and Karl have been mating since May 16. Egg #1 Sunday 5/24, egg #2 yesterday (Tuesday 5/26). Yet this morning, they were still mating (Wed 5/27)... They seem to be enjoying it. Phoebe sits very still on the perch with her eyes closed and head tilted back while Karl is 'busy'. Is there a time after X number of eggs that they will stop? Phoebe, if it is like last year, waits until all her eggs are laid to sit on them. Last year she laid 8, and 6 hatched (with Pierre), so her method seems to work. But she wasn't as passionate with Pierre. But I am concerned that there has to be a point where the 'activity' will slow down while there are babies involved.

·
Registered
37,562 Posts
AWH what a loving couple you have there! I am sure once all of her eggs are laid she will sit, this is the normal way of happenings. Make sure they have a great supply of calcium related foods and a cuttlebone as well. Budgies need as much a good diet as possible when producing eggs and feeding chicks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, we have all the 'amenities' cuttlebone, et al. Daily fresh lettuce leaves and carrots along with the change of seeds. Karl is very attentive so he knows that Phoebe has a thing for carrots.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Egg #5 yesterday... Phoebe is out of sight except when she pokes her head out of the entrance of the hutch so Karl can feed her...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick update: Karl and Phoebe have 3 squirmy little pink things and 2 eggs yet to hatch.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We had a tragedy. 3 of 5 babies died suddenly about a week ago. I said nothing so I could watch the other 2 who seem to be Ok. They continue to grow.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.