Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am still new to all the genetics and am just starting to understand it all. but one thing i am having a hard time grasping is the pied gene.

in dogs, with pied the amount of white on the parents indicates the amount of white on the pups. breed 2 almost all white dogs with very little color, all the pups can be expected to have a large amount of white, but there shouldnt be any pups that are all color with very little white, same applies for the opposite.

does this apply to budgie pied genes? does the amount of markings on the parents dictate the amount of markings on the offspring or is it just random? and any better insight or links on these genes would be greatly appreciated.

·
Member of the Month
7,575 Posts
Budgie pieds are not the same as dog pieds.

Budgie pieds go into dominant and recessive pieds. They are two different budgies, but when mated together, the chicks will show the dominant pied since it is dominant. Here is a website that helps a lot
http://www.***************
When you get there click on budgie mutations and genetics and it will have all the info there.

We also have a few genetic experts on here that will help you out. Nev90 is one that comes to mind. He will be able to answer this for sure.

Budgie genetics seems complicated at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's fairly simple:)

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
I am not at all a genetics expert. I can only tell you that the type of pied is based on the parent but the amount of markings is not necessarily. This is by my experience though and one of the genetics gurus will be able to explain better. I currently have 2 pied babies whose pied daddy has far more markings. However, the mom carries the genes so I suppose her parent could have had less markings. Her other batch had a pied with very few markings and it was a diff. dad. This is a really cool question, I will be anxious to hear what they say :)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
There are three common mutations of pieds in budgies and they are each governed by their own rules of inheritance. Within each mutation there is quite a variation in the size of the clear areas and although this is inheritable you would need to selectively breed for a particular trait for several generations before it would be possible to be sure of getting only offspring with similar markings to their parents

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.