Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The oldest chick appears to be a yellowface so far, is that possible for regular wild type yellowbases split for blue? Both of the chicks are boys and will be 1 month old tomorrow. I want to start hand feeding the second hatcher because he looks like hes not growing as fast anymore and I want to ensure his health. They're so cute and sweet!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I would post pics but my digital camera got busted.....
Another thing is can two non pied/non slpit for pied birds produce a pied or split for pied chick just because a crazy phenomenon occured somehow? It seems foolish asking that, but the smaller one appears to have a clear feather or few on the back of his head....

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Yes, yellow based budgies can be split for blue, and no, non-pieds that are not split pied cannot produce pied, however there is no way of knowing if a budgie is split for Recessive Pied unless you know all their ancestors, recessive genes can go unnoticed for many generations.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's really cool, maybe he's split for rec. pied then.
Soooo, the chicks are 1 month old today!
But besides that, if I could describe their look, do you think anyone could help me out on what they are?
Um, and I don't know if I was clear on this, but can yellowbase birds that are split for blue produce yellowfaced chicks?

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
That's really cool, maybe he's split for rec. pied then.
Soooo, the chicks are 1 month old today!
But besides that, if I could describe their look, do you think anyone could help me out on what they are?
Um, and I don't know if I was clear on this, but can yellowbase birds that are split for blue produce yellowfaced chicks?
It is my understanding that if a green parent produces a YF blue baby that the parent is not green split to blue, but green split to YF blue. If the other green parent is green split to blue then the baby you're speaking of got a copy of YF blue from one parent and blue from another parent and visually is a YF blue. YF2 is dominant to YF1 is dominant to (plain old)blue. So yes, it is possible to get a YF blue baby from two green parents

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
I don't know thAt there's any normal. How many eggs were there? Parents should be able to feed three chicks with no problem if the parents' diet is good and the conditions in the birds' room are good.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There were eight eggs and the mom hatched three, two survived.
She had a fresh bowl of seed everyday and a clean bowl of water. She had a vitabrick, a cuttlebone, millet, honey treats, and a clean habitat. The third to hatch just... died. He didn't have a full crop at all when I found him. I think maybe she just couldn't keep up because the oldest were a week older and were able to wrestle their way into eating all of the food. I don't know, but the the two surviving fledglings are doing FANTASTIC!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.