Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lot of things hanging and lying around the room/cage, but Mila still looks for the plastic caps on the rope ends to chew on >:
I tried to tie some rope ends around it but she still manages to get to them.

I'm not sure if it's ok, since she probably won't eat the plastic and just nibble a bit on it. But maybe someone has a hint on how I can make her stop? Aside from telling her no whenever I catch her, she flies off when I do, but as soon as I look away she's back at it T^T

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,788 Posts
Maybe you could divert her attention with a toy, since she is into chewing you can give her a wooden chew toy to satisfy her chewing needs. :)

I'd suggest replacing that rope toy kind of swing (the one above Mila), you should be aware that while chewing on the rope budgies can ingest the fibres and get sick as a result.
I would also trim the loose ends of the rope (especially the one that is not chewed up) just to avoid potential accidents, budgies are very acrobatic and can easily get into trouble and get their heads or feet caught in the rope and have a very tragic outcome.

·
Super Moderator
18,016 Posts
I agree with Aluz, she's absolutely right. She, being a female, tends to like to chew on things that don't give way so easily. Try getting her lots of chewing toys--wooden blocks, kabobs, etc., and maybe that'll help some.

Also, I would agree that those ropes look dangerous, even if they do like to play with them. It's easy to get tangled in or ingest loose fibres like that! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the brighte colored rope off and tied the rope that belongs to the ladder around the plastic.

She has a lot of wooden things hanging around and I also got some cork for them recently, which they both fight over while in the cage, despite there being 2 pieces in there ^^;, but they don't really chew on the Wood, they just sit on it.

Is it possible that she's into the colors? Because most chewing toys are wood color and she doesn't seem to like those as much as the plastics. I bought colored wood ONCE but while hanging it up I noticed the color coming off and figured that's a "nope" so I threw it out.

@Starlingwings: What do you mean by kabobs?

·
Super Moderator
18,016 Posts
Like these:

These come in other colors and styles, too, this is the basic one. They're really easy to shred and I have a hen who loves chewing and these are her favorites!

Also, about the color coming off the wood: That's usually normal, and all the colors on bird toys are bird-safe so it should be fine :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The color coming off was more like, I touched it to hang it up, and the color was on my hands. I was afraid it might be unhealthy for the birds, so I took them off... I ordered the toy online.

Kabob toy: I don't think I have seen this toy in stores before, but maybe it' sjsu tbecause I didn't look for it. The wood type Kabob also doesn't ring a bell and I can't find it in my language.
BUT this gave me an idea for a toy I can put together to chew on :3

·
Registered
107 Posts
Someone just said this to me on another thread so, I'm passing it on to you: Do you have a cuttlebone or mineral block in her cage at all times? Because that can satisfy her chewing needs.

Also, in my case I often use popsicle sticks that I hang in my budgie's cage for her to chew. You can buy a bag of sticks for about 1$ in craft stores, dollar stores, etc. It's convenient, safe and cheap!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They have a cuttlebone in their cage, yes.

she started to chew on the wood things for now. I think she just goes to the plastic when she's to lazy to fly over to the other things.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
As Lilly constantly chews on things, i have attached wooden pegs to her cage normally used for hanging food, when there is no food she plays and chews on it. she also has a wooden ladder in her cage. You could try a wooden peg or a wooden ladder. Hope this helps a little :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.