Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did have another thread about their color, but that was in breeding when I gave an update on the chicks.
Mom: Wild type split for blue
Dad: Wild type split for blue
Chicks: Appear to be yellow face type two, second to hatch has a patch of clear on his head, and their rump feathers look like a ridiculously iridescent blue, green, and yellow rainbow.
I can't tell if they're white or yellow base, because honestly, it looks like they were mixed to create a new mutation, or they might be speckled halfsiders maybe????
HELP PLEASE! I'm very intrigued and confused my the lil' angels.:eek:
:budgie:

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
Wow, they sound really intriguing! I'm in no
way experienced enough to offer any help, but
I would certainly love to see photos of your babies!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's just that my camera is busted!!!! GaH! I'll see what I can do! I'll try to get the pics somehow, but until I do, does anyone have any thoughts? Ideas? Guesses? I was kinda guessing (and I'm probably wrong) YF2 Sky or Cobalt Speckled Half-sider for the first lil' guy, and for the second chick YF2 Sky (Maybe split for rec. pied as I was told by another member here because of the clear patch on his head) Speckled Half-Sider.
I know two halfsider is waaaaaay odd, but they really look like it! So any input would be very appreciated!:)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just took a look, and yay! My digital camera is working now! Must have just been a small glitch! So I took the pics!
The first is of Mom (Their dad looks exactly the same as the mom)
The second is of the oldest chick
The third is of the oldest chick
The fourth is of the oldest chick
and the fifth is of the second chick (Notice the clear feather on the back of his head)
Although some of the pics are taken with flash and toy with the cere color, I can assure you they're boys.
Yea, there is flash, but that's exactly what they look like!
I have another pic that may suggest a Fallow mutation for the second chick.
:)

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Next pic

And here's the last pic, took me a minute to upload...
It's of the second chick, notice the blurriness of the back feathers! Fallow?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Half the chicks from the clutch I got babies from have that little spot too. I don't know what it means though. They arent pied at all though.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The dad looks exactly like the mom, so I didn't bother taking the extra time to take a pic of him.
Yes, Nutz4birdies, the spot is weird, someone suggested rec. pied because it can be passed on and not be noticed for years of clutches or something.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
All the more reason to let Twist and Owl have babies! She is recessive pied, then I can test that hypothesis! They want to nest soooooo bad! I think I will let them as soon as I get settled. Just one more reason to hope even harder for that job I am waiting to hear about!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Haha, yes when my possible split 2 rec pied chick gets to be breeding age I think I'll pair him with my visual rec. pied hen to test the hypothesis.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
It'd help to have a better photo of chick 2. Usually, for identifying mutations, a pic from the front, side and back are what we need. Mom has iris rings. Does dad? Do either mom or dad have the spot on the head? My normal YF sky blue male is split to recessive pied an does not have iris rings. This is him.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367064523.105169.jpg

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The second chick is actually light green in front, but has a green and yellow layering on his rump. His back feathers are kinda blurry looking.
Mom and dad have iris rings and have no clear feathers on their heads.
I'll try to get a pic up later!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.