Talk Budgies Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
my 1.5 years old budgie River does put weight on his left leg for 3 weeks now. I took him to an avian vet 2 weeks ago and she gave him a meloxicam injection and said it took 1-2 weeks to get better. 10 days after the vet visit River had not improved so I took him back to the vet 4 days ago. she took two X-ray. One showed no breakages of his leg nor he has gouts. She said she wasn’t convinced that he has kidney tumour. However, she said there are two options, one is to give him very strong pain killers to help the nerve for a few months incase he has any injuries that she couldn’t see from the X-ray On his spine. The other option is give him Lucrin injection three times every two weeks in case he has enlarged testes. In the mean time I give him meloxicam twice a day. Has anyone have similar experience with your budgie ? is it normal that the vet could not see the tumour in the testes from the X-ray?
River is eating less, moving around the cage less but still chirping and climbing up and down his cage. I modified the cage so he can get to his food and water. He is sharing the cage with 2 other budgies.

I have been so worried for the past 4 days. Please give your opinions.

very much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Hi
my 1.5 years old budgie River does put weight on his left leg for 3 weeks now. I took him to an avian vet 2 weeks ago and she gave him a meloxicam injection and said it took 1-2 weeks to get better. 10 days after the vet visit River had not improved so I took him back to the vet 4 days ago. she took two X-ray. One showed no breakages of his leg nor he has gouts. She said she wasn’t convinced that he has kidney tumour. However, she said there are two options, one is to give him very strong pain killers to help the nerve for a few months incase he has any injuries that she couldn’t see from the X-ray On his spine. The other option is give him Lucrin injection three times every two weeks in case he has enlarged testes. In the mean time I give him meloxicam twice a day. Has anyone have similar experience with your budgie ? is it normal that the vet could not see the tumour in the testes from the X-ray?
River is eating less, moving around the cage less but still chirping and climbing up and down his cage. I modified the cage so he can get to his food and water. He is sharing the cage with 2 other budgies.

I have been so worried for the past 4 days. Please give your opinions.

very much appreciated.
I can tell you what my experience is, I have had several birds that have shown leg issues related to tumors, either kidney or testicular. The Meloxicam is an anti-inflammatory drug and will also help with pain so it is commonly used to reduce inflammation which can be seen with tumors. With my birds the tumors could not be directly seen in the x-rays, that is common because when the x-ray is taken there can be internal structures in the way and the tumor can be so small it does not show up. In one of the x-rays the vet could see a shadow and a displacement of internal organs that indicated something was there. My bird that had the testicular tumor was given a course of Lupron injections along with me administering Meloxicam orally twice a ay as you are doing. He improved over several months and would then only occasionally have a issue with the leg, he lived almost an additional 2 years after diagnosis, unfortunately I cannot say the same for the birds that had the kidney tumors. I had necropsies done on them to verify the problem so there was no question about what the issue was.

·
Administrator
55,091 Posts
If you budgie has any type of tumor or cancer, I would recommend giving it KnotGrass as a supplement. The other birds can eat and enjoy it as well as it is a natural herb and will not hurt them.
It may have a beneficial effect and it certainly won't be detrimental. I give it to my budgies along with their herb salad.

Alternative Remedies

Knot Grass

Have you put wooden platforms in the birds' cage to make it easier for River to perch?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
I can tell you what my experience is, I have had several birds that have shown leg issues related to tumors, either kidney or testicular. The Meloxicam is an anti-inflammatory drug and will also help with pain so it is commonly used to reduce inflammation which can be seen with tumors. With my birds the tumors could not be directly seen in the x-rays, that is common because when the x-ray is taken there can be internal structures in the way and the tumor can be so small it does not show up. In one of the x-rays the vet could see a shadow and a displacement of internal organs that indicated something was there. My bird that had the testicular tumor was given a course of Lupron injections along with me administering Meloxicam orally twice a ay as you are doing. He improved over several months and would then only occasionally have a issue with the leg, he lived almost an additional 2 years after diagnosis, unfortunately I cannot say the same for the birds that had the kidney tumors. I had necropsies done on them to verify the problem so there was no question about what the issue was.
Hi Cody

thank you so much for your message. I can’t tell you how much you have lifted my spirit this morning. I was reading about testicular tumour last night and I was in tears because people lost their budgies due to this disease which the outcome of treatment isn’t very positive. Until I read your ex with your own budgie it gave me hope. I hope the Lucrin works for my boy River. He will have a second shot of Lucrin in 10 days time. How fast did you see the effect of the Lucrin on your budgie? River can grip my finger with his left foot but it isn’t as strong as the right foot. How long did you give Meloxicam to your budgie? River didn’t like taking his medication. He is gettping a little bit better at it but i5 is still stressful to catch h8m out of his cage twice a day.

I have different size of perches for River and I even put thin layer of foam on his perches so that it is nice and soft under his feet but he won’t use those perches.

For the last two days I have seen River often rubbing his beak on the perches. I am not sure why he is doing that.

thank you again for sharing your experience. It gives me some hope for a positive outcome for River.
Have a great day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you budgie has any type of tumor or cancer, I would recommend giving it KnotGrass as a supplement. The other birds can eat and enjoy it as well as it is a natural herb and will not hurt them.
It may have a beneficial effect and it certainly won't be detrimental. I give it to my budgies along with their herb salad.

Alternative Remedies

Knot Grass

Have you put wooden platforms in the birds' cage to make it easier for River to perch?
Hi

Thank you for your message.
where do i buy Knot Grass from? I guess you get it from a Health Food shop?

Yes I have different size of perches for River. I put foam on some of them so that it is soft on his foot but he doesn’t use those perches. I bought some dowels to have more perches at an angle so he can go up and down the cage.
I hope you have a great weekend

MT River

·
Administrator
55,091 Posts
Hi

Thank you for your message.
where do i buy Knot Grass from? I guess you get it from a Health Food shop?

Yes I have different size of perches for River. I put foam on some of them so that it is soft on his foot but he doesn’t use those perches. I bought some dowels to have more perches at an angle so he can go up and down the cage.
I hope you have a great weekend

MT River
Click on the link in my post above that says Knot Grass and it will take you to that product on Amazon's site.

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Hi Cody

thank you so much for your message. I can’t tell you how much you have lifted my spirit this morning. I was reading about testicular tumour last night and I was in tears because people lost their budgies due to this disease which the outcome of treatment isn’t very positive. Until I read your ex with your own budgie it gave me hope. I hope the Lucrin works for my boy River. He will have a second shot of Lucrin in 10 days time. How fast did you see the effect of the Lucrin on your budgie? River can grip my finger with his left foot but it isn’t as strong as the right foot. How long did you give Meloxicam to your budgie? River didn’t like taking his medication. He is gettping a little bit better at it but i5 is still stressful to catch h8m out of his cage twice a day.

I have different size of perches for River and I even put thin layer of foam on his perches so that it is nice and soft under his feet but he won’t use those perches.

For the last two days I have seen River often rubbing his beak on the perches. I am not sure why he is doing that.

thank you again for sharing your experience. It gives me some hope for a positive outcome for River.
Have a great day.
I saw a difference within a month, he was on the Meloxicam permanently, but was changed to once a day at some point. He was a very tame bird so giving meds was not too much of a problem. When I have to give meds to my birds that are not tame I give it in the morning before it gets light , I find that removing them from the cage at that time is easier on everyone, if I have to give twice a day I give the night med(s) about 30 minutes after I have put the birds to bed, again the room is pretty dark with just a small night light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw a difference within a month, he was on the Meloxicam permanently, but was changed to once a day at some point. He was a very tame bird so giving meds was not too much of a problem. When I have to give meds to my birds that are not tame I give it in the morning before it gets light , I find that removing them from the cage at that time is easier on everyone, if I have to give twice a day I give the night med(s) about 30 minutes after I have put the birds to bed, again the room is pretty dark with just a small night light.
Thank you for answering my questions and giving suggestions. I took for advice and gave River his meloxicam af I put him to bed in a dark room. It was a bit easier for me to catch him when he couldn’t see in the dark. I have read that Lucrin only works on certain types of tumour. Did your budgie have any bad side effect when he had Lucrin injections? How many shots did your budgie have? The vet said my budgie will have once every two weeks for 6 weeks.

·
Super Moderator
2,998 Posts
Thank you for answering my questions and giving suggestions. I took for advice and gave River his meloxicam af I put him to bed in a dark room. It was a bit easier for me to catch him when he couldn’t see in the dark. I have read that Lucrin only works on certain types of tumour. Did your budgie have any bad side effect when he had Lucrin injections? How many shots did your budgie have? The vet said my budgie will have once every two weeks for 6 weeks.
There were no visible side effects that I could see. My bird also had one shot every 2 weeks for 6 weeks, after that he did have additional shots when he seemed to be having a flare up of symptoms. In these pictures you can see that in the one with the bell his cere was nice and blue in the other his cere had started to turn brown, indicating a problem.
002.JPG
036.JPG

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There were no visible side effects that I could see. My bird also had one shot every 2 weeks for 6 weeks, after that he did have additional shots when he seemed to be having a flare up of symptoms. In these pictures you can see that in the one with the bell his cere was nice and blue in the other his cere had started to turn brown, indicating a problem. View attachment 256337 View attachment 256339
Thank you for your message and photos. Yes, I could see the cere was brown. My budgie River has not been eating as much the past week. I thought his decreasing in appetite caused by the side effect of the Meloxicam. He seems to move a lot better then last two days, probably the Meloxicam helps with the pain. He is able to put his weight on both feet nearly. His left foot is weaker than the right one. My River is blue as you can see from the profile (Similar to your late budgie but lighter blue), his cere are still blue but I will keep an eye on it to see if that would change.

I read on the internet that budgies are very prone to have tumours which is very unfortunate.

you have a great week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There were no visible side effects that I could see. My bird also had one shot every 2 weeks for 6 weeks, after that he did have additional shots when he seemed to be having a flare up of symptoms. In these pictures you can see that in the one with the bell his cere was nice and blue in the other his cere had started to turn brown, indicating a problem. View attachment 256337 View attachment 256339
This is the newest photo of my River boy.

·
Administrator
55,091 Posts
River is beautiful!

I would suggest you remove the some of the wooden dowel perches in the cage and replace them with natural wooden perches of varying diameters to help prevent pressure sores.

Pressure Sores

The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:

Essentials for a Great Cage

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
River is beautiful!

I would suggest you remove the some of the wooden dowel perches in the cage and replace them with natural wooden perches of varying diameters to help prevent pressure sores.

Pressure Sores

The information in this link will give examples of better options for perches:

Essentials for a Great Cage
Thank you for your suggestions about perches. I will replace some dowels with gum tree perches.

·
Administrator
55,091 Posts
Sometimes a budgie or other bird will stand on one leg simply to rest the other one. It doesn't necessarily mean he is in pain - we would have no way of knowing that. It sounds like you are doing everything you can to help him.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for answering my question. Birds do hide their illness so it is not easy to know if he has pain or not. I am hoping the meloxicam helps him and there is no pain.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts