Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got word from my breeder that my little English budgie, Kimchi, is weaned and should be good to come home on Saturday! I am beyond excited... so I want to make sure I have everything in place. Do you see anything wrong with my cage layout, or anything you would change? I have tried to keep the perches from sitting on top of food bowls, and have left a big open area in the front with two perches positioned for flying space. Is it too full?

The little white cage is for the long drive home-- and if he seems anxious I might let him stay in there for a bit until he is more at ease. Then there is just a playgym (collapsible, as I live in a 575 square ft studio in Chicago.)

Thanks in advance! I haven't cared for a budgie since high school. I am super excited and super nervous.

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,995 Posts
I'm not an expert but Kimchi's cage and play area looks good to me. I think maybe the ends of the rope- the tassles might be a problem as they can chew on them.

I got some rope perches for my birds cages and Jay was pulling them apart straight away. I instead moved them outside the cage to use on Jimmy's big cage for if/when they come out, so they aren't able to chew on them and they're more for climbing up to the top of the cage on..

You said about the perches not being over the food pots but it kinda looks like they are over them, but I'm going to assume it's just the way it looks as it's hard to tell the depth from the picture. :)

I think it looks great otherwise and I'm sure he'll love his cage. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,143 Posts
How exciting, the cage looks fine. The one thing I will say is that it looks like there is an air conditioner to the left of the cage as you are looking at the picture. If that is the case make sure that at no time is there cold air blowing directly on the cage or the bird.

·
Administrator
55,292 Posts
I agree with Therm regarding the fringe on the ropes and all of the toys that have it.

For safety's sake, the cotton fringe needs to be trimmed down to no more than 1/2 inch long.

Additionally, please be aware that ingestion of cotton fibers can cause crop impaction.
If you notice Kimchi chewing on the ropes or the fringe on any of the toys then you should remove those and put them in an area where he can only use them when under your direct supervision.

You might want to put the "kabob" toy near a perch or put a perch near it so Kimchi can get to it more easily without having to cling to the side of the cage.

Otherwise, I think you're off to a great start and I'm sure Kimchi will love his new palace! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
228 Posts
I prefer the food and water dishes to be closer to the door so they are easier to take in and out. I just find it easier. I don't always have time to let them out and this allows quick in and out access minimizing the chance of a bird clinging to my arm hoping for some cuddle time. Seriously these birds are like velcro once they grab on you can't get them off without lots of food bribery.

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Nice setup Amy. I agree with trimming the fringe on the ropes and keeping a close eye on rope chewing. I also put my kabob's near perches....:)

·
Super Moderator
3,143 Posts
One thing I do with the kabobs in addition to hanging them is I drill a hole in the center and slide it on to one of the smaller perches. I buy the ones that are about 2" or so in diameter, it is the next size up from the mini ones. You can see in my signature picture here at the bottom right side there is one.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will have a perch by the kebab-- actually I just pulled it out for the travel cage! It's that short rope one.

I'm so bummed though,I just found out from the breeder that Kimchi actually wanted formula this morning and took quite a bit, so he's not as weaned as she had previously thought. I will need to wait to at least next week to bring home my little guy :( I guess I have plenty of time to rearrange the cage now.

·
Super Moderator
17,998 Posts
I bet you are simply dying to meet your little boy. I'm sure he will be ready to come home before you know it! Your cage looks great and I would agree with all past comments :thumbsup:

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,995 Posts
I will have a perch by the kebab-- actually I just pulled it out for the travel cage! It's that short rope one.

I'm so bummed though,I just found out from the breeder that Kimchi actually wanted formula this morning and took quite a bit, so he's not as weaned as she had previously thought. I will need to wait to at least next week to bring home my little guy :( I guess I have plenty of time to rearrange the cage now.
Kimchi will be worth the wait and is coming home to a virtual palace filled with love. :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Amy,
I know it's disappointing to have to wait but it will be worth it to know Kimchi is fully weaned and there are no problems before you bring him home. :hug:
Thanks Faerybee... you are absolutely right but it's still so hard!! I went to visit the budgies at Petco this weekend instead. I'm just trying to keep myself busy until he's ready. I feel like I'm waiting for someone to go into labor!:budgie::budgie:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.