Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
spɹıq ɹoɟ slɐǝɥ
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beautiful Budgie Midori...

I think he is a Dominant Pied - but I'm unsure what colour you call him? Do you go with the dominant colour which is yellow? Or do you say that he is yellow and green?

Thanks for your help...

Anj

Attachments

·
Member of the Month
7,575 Posts
Ok, I'm gonna take a shot for the mutation:)

Midori (love the name) is a Light green Opaline dominant pied male.

When you say the colours for the pieds, you say either blue or green, whichever your budgie is. Rarely do you say the base colour (which in your case would be the yellow).

I'm about 90% sure on this, I'm sure other's will be able to correct me:)

·
spɹıq ɹoɟ slɐǝɥ
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Can I make a part two to this question? (cause I'm cheeky - lol)

Midori mated with my normal green 'Kakariki' she laid 6 eggs, but only 2 hatched... What mutation do you think they will have? Is normal going to be dominant? One of the chicks appears to be a lot greyer, than the other chick, so I'm assuming it must be a normal?

Thanks for all your help...

Anj

Attachments

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Im gonna drop a bit of a mutation bomb on you with midori. To me midori looks like a Dominant pied opaline spangle light green ****. Green is easy to see, dominant pied is clearly evident as well, but makes the other two mutations harder to spot as the pied gene has removed most of his wing markings. His lack of head, neck and shoulder markings definately indicates either spangle or opaline - you can spy out the spangle because of yellow/white tail and the white cheek markings. I say opaline because from what little wing markings he has, they appear to have his green body colour in them. Could you confirm this or put up a clearer shot of his back?

I would love to see the hen just to confirm her exact mutation but i'll put up some rough expectations based on what you've told me.

If he is a Dominant pied opaline spangle green bred with a normal green hen you can expect:
100% opaline females (opalines will be easy to spot, because normal babies have grey down feathers, opalines have very very white down feathers), 100% males split for opaline.
50% chance of any chick being dominant pied
50% chance of any chick being spangle
25% chance of a chick being both dom pied and spangle (50% x 50% = 25%)
25% chance of a chick having neither!

You could roughly work it out and say you have a 12.5% chance of getting an opaline dominant pied spangle female (50% chance of a chick being female x 50% chance dom pied x 50% chance spangle = 12.5%, or roughly 1 in 10 chicks).

Of course if he is not opaline, then expect dominant pieds, spangles, and normals :)

Also, the older chick is grey because the down feathers have come through and now the darker body feathers are starting to form and break through. They have much more colour so are darker, and the other chick will look the same once it is that age.

·
The Kangaroo Whisperer
3,711 Posts
Well....Umm...I normally go with what Dean says.:p
How can he even..I really don't get genetics :eek::S

All I know is that is a true aussie budgie:p Why on earth is he in NZ? And those chicks are goregous!!

·
spɹıq ɹoɟ slɐǝɥ
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow... You are a wealth of knowledge Dean...

I've attached some pictures of Midori's back... He only has a tiny patch of feathers on his shoulder, that has green markings... Hope the pics are clear enough...

As for Kakariki - his mate, she is a lot harder to get pictures of, cause she is a dedicated mother, and hides when the camera comes out!! lol But I'll get a picture early tomorrow, cause I tried to look on the net for a pic of a bird like her - now I'm doubting ther 'normal' status... lol

The reason I was confused about the chicks colouring - cause my Sky Blue Opaline Spangle Hen (Lamey) and Type II Yellow Face Opaline (Jesse) have mated, and hatched 4 chicks around the same time as Kakariki's chicks hatched, and Lamey/Jesse's chicks are three times as fluffy as Kakariki/Midori's - I kind of put it down to the mutation, but now I'm really confused...

Thanks again for all the help...

Attachments

·
spɹıq ɹoɟ slɐǝɥ
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sophie...

****... You're right - perhaps I should have called him Aussie...

I promise if one of his chicks turn out to be like him - I'll call him Oz!!

·
spɹıq ɹoɟ slɐǝɥ
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a beautiful Grey Wing Grey called 'Te Mana' cause that's the name of one of NZ's Navy Vessels - and we thought it was ironic!!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Yep, going from those pics, his body colour is coming through. You cant be 100% sure about opaline, but he is either opaline or split for opaline and has some opalescence showing through on his wing and neck.

Dominant pied opaline spangle light green sounds about right. I know its hard to see how that works, but the clues are there. if he wasnt dominant pied he would probably look like this (bad picture i know, theres a much better one somewhere but i cant recall where just yet):
http://www.***************/v_spangleop2.jpg

·
spɹıq ɹoɟ slɐǝɥ
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That totally makes sense Dean, cause Midori's upper shoulder looks very similar to the pic you posted...

Guess we'll have to wait for the chicks to feather up, and they may give us a clearer picture...

Shame only two of the eggs hatched...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.