Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I can't figure out the genetics of my yellow bird, Delilah. As she came in with a lot of spangles and has dark eyes, I assumed she was a double spangle. However, she is now
about a year old and showing no sign of an iris ring. At what age does that iris change show up? Shouldn't she be showing something by now? But I had a good close look at her (and a good glare for my efforts) while switching her from one cage to another, and those eyes are black. Feet are pink, if that means anything. And the rest of her is bright, bright yellow.

Any ideas? I wish I had a camera so I could post photos, but sadly, I am way behind the times and have no means at the moment to do so. Any guesses would be very welcome, though.

Thank you in advance, anyone who wants to offer an opinion :)

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
She could be a df spangle that is masking recessive pied that would make her not have an iris ring, or she could be a dark eyed clear :)

Unfortunatly without knowing for sure what her parents genetics are breeding is the only way to know absolutly :)

·
Member of the Month
4,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She could be a df spangle that is masking recessive pied that would make her not have an iris ring, or she could be a dark eyed clear :)

Unfortunatly without knowing for sure what her parents genetics are breeding is the only way to know absolutly :)
Lindsey, thank you! I think you've found the answer. She came with siblings that were mostly pied in appearance. I think I can assume that she is likely a recessive pied.

And so, I will quit waiting for that iris ring and wondering what her genetics might be :)
Thank you so much for clearing that up for me!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.