Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These 2 are chicks I bred last year... still not sure what they are
Also advice of what to bred them to to get rainbow type colors. First 2 pics are the 1 hen... last 2 pics the other hen the yellow and white are both males.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
The yellow and white one look like dark eyed clears. I wouldn't use them toget to your rainbows. I'd start with the hen in the first picture. She looks like a GF opaline greywing. To have a rainbow, you need YF or gF on an opaline clearwing bird. It would take a few generations to get there, but you could start with her.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have many colors.. blues. skys, colbalts and mauve
Green .. nornal and olive
greywings, clearwing, opalines and normals.
What would you recooment to paor with her... I have yellow faced blues.. type I and II also normal blues.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Since what you want to do is put the yellowface and opaline on a clearwing bird, you should start with a clearwing. Using a greywing won't help you with that end of it, but at least you can use the opaline and yellowface of this bird.

Put her with a clearwing male. Yellowface, if you have one, or else blue. If he is opaline or split to it, even better. You will get full body greywing offspring at least, but if you are lucky and this bird is split to dilute, then you could get some clearwings/dilute. And some could be yellowfaces. (If the father has the opaline gene, you could get lucky and be done in one.)

If the father isn't opaline or /opaline, then you will have to use one of the sons from this pair, who will be split to opaline, for your next step. What that will be will have to depend on what chicks you have to work with at that point.

If you have full body greywing chicks to work with, then you will want to pair them with clearwings or dilutes. Two full body greywings together will also work, but you will get a lower percentage of clearwings.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
This bird doesn't look like a clear wing to me. I could be wrong. But I wouldn't use pied in my trying to get to rainbow. It's just one more thing to weed out. He looks like a greywing to me....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have grey wings in sky and colbalt but no YF
I have YF colbalt with normal wing
I have YF type II opaline normal wing color
This one would probably be best color but I can't...it is her Brother !

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
You're going to have to get the clearwing gene in there somehow. The trouble with the pied bird you pictured first, is that his pied-ness makes it hard to tell exactly what kind of greywing he is.

The second pied bird can't be a clearwing, because he has pale cheek patches. He must be either a greywing or a dilute.

Pied birds can be hard to identify, if they are missing color on their tails and cheek patches, and if they have little body color and markings. Plus like Erin said, you have to breed that out eventually. But if you don't have anything else to work with, you can use pied, as long as you're sure it has the clearwing gene. You main limitation is going to be getting the clearwing gene in. The rest (yf2 and opaline) are easier.

Using a bird with normal wing color will just set you backwards, so don't use those. (Unless you know for sure they are split to clearwing.)

Can you post photos of your sky blue and cobalt greywings? Maybe we can tell what type of greywings those are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.