Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please help me to know the gender and age of my budgie

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  StarlingWings 
#1 ·
Hi Team!

I had two budgies. I don't know gender and age of both of them. One of them escaped from the cage by opening the gate:cry:. Searched to find. But no avail. So, I am planning to get a new budgie for the remaining one. Please help me to know age and gender of the remaining budgie. Any suggestion on new budgie is also welcome. I am attaching images of the remaining one.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

Your current budgie appears from the posted pictures to be a male.

If you get another bird, you need to observe quarantine.

Quarantine IS Necessary!

Always ensure all doors and windows are closed if you allow your budgie out of the cage.
It should have free-flight only in a bird-safe room when it is supervised.

What is your budgie's name?
He appears to be very overweight.

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses

Obesity/Hepatic Lipidosis/Fatty Liver Disease
Nutritional Diseases in Budgies.

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.

These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES

List of Stickies

Posting on the Forums

Let's Talk Budgies!

FAQ

Articles

Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense

Avian First Aid

A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old

Tips For Discouraging Breeding

Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies

Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads

Cage sizes.

Essentials to a Great Cage

Resource Directory

#7 ·
No. I don't believe you should get another budgie until you recognize that the one you have is not in good health as it appears to be very overweight.
You need to take the necessary steps to ensure its well-being. It needs attention as indicated by my previous post.

Quarantine IS Necessary!

Always ensure all doors and windows are closed if you allow your budgie out of the cage.

Quality Seed Mix

IF you get another bird in the future, you need to get another male to prevent any possible breeding.
The bird you have asked about also does not look well and is a female.

#8 ·
No. I don't believe you should get another budgie until you recognize that the one you have is not in good health as it appears to be very overweight.
You need to take the necessary steps to ensure its well-being. It needs attention as indicated by my previous post.

Quarantine IS Necessary!

Quality Seed Mix

IF you get another bird in the future, you need to get another male to prevent any possible breeding.
The bird you have asked about also does not look well and is a female.

Thanks for the detailed response. I will read each of the resources you have provided carefully. I will not buy new one until I gather enough information and knowledge. I have attached another image of my existing budgie. Does it look obese as well. Just want to confirm whether its acutally obese or it looks like that due to camera angle. Again, thanks for sensitising me about all these.

#9 ·
In the current picture you have posted the bird looks like it may have a fatty deposit in the chest area, the best way to know if the bird is actually overweight is to weigh it on a gram scale. The bird in the picture you posted, asking if you could buy as a partner to your current bird, does not look healthy to me, the nares look soiled and one side appears to have a dark discharge coming from it, also the wings are drooping, and it is a female and it would be best for you at some future time to get another male. Wherever or whoever has this female may not have been caring for it very well.

#11 ·
I agree with Cody.
The budgie does look better in the last picture you posted -- not nearly as obese as in the previous pictures.
I do think he may have a fatty deposit on the chest.
As indicated, previously, I would not get the female -- I don't think she's healthy.

Thank you for agreeing to read the information throughout our forum so you can learn as much as possible to give your current budgie a better life.

#12 ·
Hi there and welcome to the forums~

You've gotten great advice and resources above from FaeryBee. Please be sure to read through all the links and other information provided to ensure you're up to date on the best of budgie care practices! If you have any questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help.

We hope to see you around, and please keep us posted on how things go!

Cheers 👋

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.