Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My white boy has snow white wings, is this considered a clearwing? His rump patch is darker than his sky blue patches.
My guess would be that my girl is a gray-green graywing??? Although she does have some yellow in her wings. She is olive/gray colored and has gray cheek patches and a gray tail.
Can I get some white winged babies (or clearwing, if that is what it is called)out of them? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
The blue one is mostly white because he's a double factor dominant pied. The pied gene creates white patches on a birds body and wings. From the barring and spots I can see on the blue bird, it looks like he's a normal (black) opaline. He also looks like a cobalt and possibly a violet.

I can't see the front of your green one, but it looks like she's not pied at all. Since she's green, a pied gene would cause yellow patches. She looks like an opaline clearwing olive.

Babies of an opaline clearwing olive and an opaline DF dominant pied cobalt would be:

All opalines
All single factor dominant pied (single factor birds will be less pied than a double factor bird, but the flight feathers on the wings will be yellow (in a green bird) or white (in a blue bird))
50-100% olive or dark green, but all the greens will carry the blue gene (so some of their babies will be cobalt or mauve)
0-50% cobalt or mauve (the ones that aren't green)
50-100% black-barred wings, some or all will carry the clearwing gene

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
Your male is a Df dominant pied opaline cobalt and probably violet. The color on the rump is usually the darkest and most intense color on their body :) He is not a clearwing though.

Your girl looks like a dark green violet (I see violet cheek patches, not grey/blue like a grey green) opaline greywing. She looks a bit diluted, and her cheek patches are too bright for a normal greywing.The yellow color in her wings is from being an opaline :)

If neither bird is split for anything you can expect:

All sf dominant pied opalines in light, dark and olive green. Depending on if the parents are sf or df violet you will get some sf and df violets too :)

The blue one is mostly white because he's a recessive pied. The pied gene creates white patches on a birds body and wings. From the barring and spots I can see on the blue bird, it looks like he's a normal (black) opaline. He also looks like a cobalt and possibly a violet.

I can't see the front of your green one, but it looks like she's not pied at all. Since she's green, a pied gene would cause yellow patches. She looks like an opaline clearwing olive.

Babies of an opaline clearwing olive and an opaline DF recessive pied cobalt would be:

All opalines

All look normal but carry the recessive pied gene (so some of their babies will be recessive pied)

50-100% olive or dark green, but all the greens will carry the blue gene (so some of their babies will be cobalt or mauve)

All with black-barred wings, but some or all will carry the clearwing gene

So most or all of the babies will be opaline dark greens and opaline olives, but their babies may be quite a rainbow, with pied and clearwings. :)
It can be easy to confuse recessive pied and dominant pied, but if you look at the marking pattern it can help a lot :)

Recessive pieds will have more markings on their belly near their legs and around to their rump, where as a df dominant pied will have a clear belly and a spot of color on the rump with more colored markings around the shoulders :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.