Talk Budgies Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ^^ I'm new here and I'm getting my first budgie tomorrow and I'm not sure where to place it's cage. I have two spots in my room where it can fit but I'm not sure what's better for him,, the first one is slightly next to a window and the second is under my bunk bed. I've heard you shouldn't put your budgie next to a window but then under my bed I'm afraid it would be a little dark :( basically I don't know if it's better for the budgie to be closer to light or have it far away.

·
Super Moderator
3,821 Posts
Under the bunk bed is not a good spot. It would be best if you could place the cage in a spot where at least one side of the cage was against a wall, this allows for the bird to feel more secure. Since this is your first budgie you have a lot to learn, when you bring the bird home do not try to touch or pet the bird, the bird will be scared because it will be in a new home and it needs a lot of time and patience before it will feel secure, please make sure all family members understand this. You should sit by the cage several times a day and talk calmly and softly to the bird so it becomes comfortable in your presence. Please take a look at this article to help you learn about the proper cage set up. Essentials to a Great Cage

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for letting me know! I've actually been learning and made my researches about budgies for over a year so I know what's the right thing to do ^^ the only thing I was kinda clueless about was the cage placement, especially in my furniture crowded room. I'll try to move things around so he'll have an appropriate and safe spot. thank you again for being careful and kind 😊

·
Administrator
56,471 Posts
Hi, Welcome to Talk Budgies!

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Avian Association of Veterinarians

Cody has offered you excellent advice.

Thank you for doing the research PRIOR to bringing your budgie into your heart and home.
I look forward to meeting him through pictures and learning his name once you have him home and he is all settled in!

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.
Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
List of Stickies
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A heartfelt plea to forum members new and old
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
18,437 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

Cody and FaeryBee have given you excellent advice and resources! It’s great to have you join us and I look forward to hearing more about your budgie!

Meanwhile, you’ve come to a great place to learn even more about the best of budgie care practices! Please be sure to have a look around the forums’ many budgie articles and “stickies”, included above, to ensure you’re up to date on everything. If you have questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we’d love to help.

Best wishes! 👋

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hello and thank you! I'll make sure to ask anytime I need help 😊 I hope to take well care of my little budgie and give him the best life possible ♡

have a great day/night!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't had the time to take a picture of him/her (I'm not sure of it's gender yet but I'll say he for now) he's an extremely adorable 2 month old > < the woman I adopted him from told me he was tamed and very sweet. when we first put him in it's cage he stood still on the same perch for 20-30 minutes. I got a little worried but came to the conclusion that all of this was new to him so it was normal he didn't move much at first. then after those minutes passed he started fluffing up and stretching, he looked pretty relaxed!

until...

he jumped into his food container and made a happy mess 😭😂 he kept putting his entire body in it and sorting out his food while eating. but I might change it into a bowl on the ground because he was going in and out of it so quickly I was afraid he'll hurt himself! I'll share pictures tomorrow of the said food container.

after a while of observing him from afar and seeing he got more and more comfortable I approached him gently and sat there to talk a little. he didn't looked bother at all by me and kept playing with his food. after a bit he jumped on the ground and paced back and forth making stepping noises- I thought I was maybe stressing him so I searched it up on the internet and apparently he was excited 😳

that was a few hours ago, as it is night time and dark in my room he has calmed down and looks like he's getting ready to sleep ^^ I can hear him make little noises with his beak~

this was a bit long but thought I'd share everything that happened 😊 if there's anything you can tell me or help me with please do so! as I am still a new budgie owner,,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The noise you heard him making with his beak was probably him beak grinding, they often do that when content and getting ready to sleep, that's a good sign.
yes that's why I was glad to hear it :>

coming very soon!!

He sounds delightful!! Once he's more settled in, we'd LOVE to meet him through pictures.
You are doing great so far. 💜 💜
of course 🥰 thank you for reassuring me ♡

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
first of all, let me introduce you to
Bird Fence Pet supply Beak Glass

cute little boy/girl who doesn't have a name yet ^^;

I wanted to talk about the behavior and obsession he has with his food container. but something else is bothering me and I don't know what I should do.

me and my big sister live in the same room (+ my little budgie now) and I told my sister how the budgie needs time to get used to it's environment and how we shouldn't try to touch him any time soon. and she was so stubborn! she didn't listen to me at all. she kept putting her hand in the cage (thankfully he wasn't scared but a little suspicious) she even took him out of the cage to let him fly a little 😭 only on his second day! I feel so bad for letting her do that.. and I'm mad.

I'm it's owner and I'm the one who knows best for it's health but she keeps ignoring my warnings. I don't want her to do whatever she wants because that's not how it works,, I'll definitely have a serious talk with her. I really don't want my budgie to feel stressed and overwhelmed :(

·
Super Moderator
3,821 Posts
Your bird is a female. The family should have discussed the arrangement of the bird's care before it was brought home, and this needs to be supervised by your parents, although the bird was brought into the house with the understanding that you are it's primary caregiver, since you share a room with your sister you have to come to an understanding about things, and if your sister does not understand, you have to get your parents involved. I feel badly that the poor bird may suffer from her actions if she is allowed to continue to do as she pleases. Maybe if the bird was a shared responsibility it would help. If you cannot provide a safe and calm home for the bird then it would best best to not have any until you can provide a proper environment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your bird is a female. The family should have discussed the arrangement of the bird's care before it was brought home, and this needs to be supervised by your parents, although the bird was brought into the house with the understanding that you are it's primary caregiver, since you share a room with your sister you have to come to an understanding about things, and if your sister does not understand, you have to get your parents involved. I feel badly that the poor bird may suffer from her actions if she is allowed to continue to do as she pleases. Maybe if the bird was a shared responsibility it would help. If you cannot provide a safe and calm home for the bird then it would best best to not have any until you can provide a proper environment.
I did have a long talk with her and she finally understood my worries for her. (thanks for pointing it out now I know!) it was stupid of me to not have included my sister into the knowledge of budgie care. I just didn't think she'd be that interested in her. now she's willing to take things slowly for her best ☺ and if she hadn't accepted my request I would have told my parents to help me out with this situation. so thank you for giving me such good advice!

·
Administrator
56,471 Posts
Your little girl is lovely! I'll be interested in hearing what you choose to name her once you decide.

May I ask how old your sister is?
Perhaps she might want to join Talk Budgies as well so she can learn first-hand all about budgies and how to give them the best possible care for their health and well-being?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your little girl is lovely! I'll be interested in hearing what you choose to name her once you decide.

May I ask how old your sister is?
Perhaps she might want to join Talk Budgies as well so she can learn first-hand all about budgies and how to give them the best possible care for their health and well-being?
I'm already in love with her 🥺 my dad calls her "ponchito" which is a boy name but it's so cute. let's see if I change it once we get closer!

she's 26, and she acts like a toddler sometimes,, as for me I'm 18 ^^ she's getting interested in learning about them through youtube, so I'll probably share with her videos that I watched and kept because they taught me so much. and also make her read everything that is written on Talk Budgies that is helpful with budgie care! and yeah I'll make sure to ask her! thank you~ ❤

·
Administrator
56,471 Posts
Your sister is welcome to set up her own User ID on Talk Budgies so she doesn't need to use yours.
Be careful in watching You-Tube videos. Keep in mind that not everything you see out there is going to conform to Best Practices and there are many things shown that are very unsafe for budgies!

Maybe you could name her "Cheeto"! ;) 💙

1 - 20 of 45 Posts