Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! one of my budgies has had a poopy vent really recently. he had just started a pellet based diet and so i just chalked everything different with his vent to his new diet. however, his cagemate has started the same diet and his butt isn’t stained at all. both of their poops look different but i think it’s the standard for pellet poop.

goose poop (messy vent)

pazzy poop (no vent staining)

goose vent with flash ^

goose vent no flash.

there’s nothing else health wise i’ve noticed with goose. he’s a little fatter but he gets exercise and fly time, as well as nothing super fatty in his diet.

please let me know anything i can do to help him!

·
Super Moderator
4,807 Posts
A change in diet can cause a bit of a GI disturbance at first, what else are the birds eating? Sometimes with an all pellet diet the bird will drink more water and also the color of the droppings will change.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A change in diet can cause a bit of a GI disturbance at first, what else are the birds eating? Sometimes with an all pellet diet the bird will drink more water and also the color of the droppings will change.
I totally get it!! most of the time they just eat pellets, but they eat some veggies too. my problem is that it’s been a long-ish-term thing now. he started pellets about a month ago and i haven’t really seen anything clear up yet

·
Administrator
57,891 Posts
Your budgie needs to be seen by an Avian Vet.

Avian Association of Veterinarians

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.
Having your budgie examined by an Avian Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future.
Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.

Please update us in this thread with regard to your budgie's status after the vet visit.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your budgie needs to be seen by an Avian Vet.

Avian Association of Veterinarians

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.
The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.
Having your budgie examined by an Avian Vet allows you to develop a good relationship with the vet in case your bird needs care for an injury or illness in the future.
Additionally, it is always helpful for the vet to have a baseline for your bird to refer to should it need future treatment.

Please update us in this thread with regard to your budgie's status after the vet visit.
Hello! Sorry it's been a while. I've just taken him to the vet today (avian vet). The Dr. said he most likely has a bacterial issue so we are trying probiotics first! If that doesn't work then we'll go for some fecal sampling + antibiotics. :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad to hear you've been to the Avian Vet with him. (what is your budgie's name?)
Please keep us updated in this thread on his progress.
Ah! I forgot to turn on notifications for this thread it seems. His name is Gauss. His poops have started looking like his cage mate Pascal’s after the probiotics. While his vent is still stained, I think it’s just because those feathers are permanently stained there until he molts them out. I have seen a significant lessening of poopy stain though, so I do believe he is improving! If by the time he finishes his next molt his vent is still pasty, I’ll do some fecal sampling + antibiotics. However, he is very active and happy so I’m not extremely worried, especially since his poop is looking better too :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.