Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an adopted budgie- he got out of his cage and broke his femur.

We took him to the vet who said she could not set it without surgery which would be more dangerous for him, but gave us pain meds for him and we re-organized his cage so it would be easier for him to get around.

The vet told us it would be about 8 weeks till he healed/adapted.

Its juts so very sad not to hear him singing and he looks so down, and is so afraid of us ( he was not much for hands anyway and after vet visit he just goes bat **** if he sees my hand in the cage.

My question is- Who out there has a disabled Budgie- How long did it really take till they were happy again?

Tips for helping him out.

·
Member of the Month June 2014
10,320 Posts
I had a disabled budgie his name was buster. The breeder put the ring on my budgies foot and damaged the tendent so buster use to walk on the side of his foot. I took him to the vet and they said that an operation would not fix it. His foot healed but it was turned to the side...The vet said to treat him like a normal budgie which I did he could stand on his perch and climb around in a fashion he climbed down to the bottom to get his seed and water. Buster use to sit on my shoulder with his funny foot and never fell off or my finger to..Buster could talk to he was a good talker....When he wanted to be in my face he would swing down hanging onto a bit of my skin near my neck boy did that hurt he wanted to be on my hand in front of my face... He didn't like flying for his foot. His foot got worse we took Buster to check ups a lot to keep a check up on his foot.when he got to 4 years old we wrapped Material around the perch and changed it ever three days to be a bit softer for his foot. I had buster for 6 and a half years he loved being cuddled he played on the floor the lounge chair with his bell. Then he got a lump on his gland we had to take him to the vet again and he had to have an operation to have it removed he wasn't happy with a bucket around his neck but after it came off all he wanted was scratches. Then 5 months after I lost buster to cancer. I was heart broken.. He died in my arms.... I got the lump tested and found out it was cancer. But I am so glad I owned a disabled budgie they make loving pets.. Just cause they are disabled some can do normal things like a normal budgie does.. Buster didn't let his foot beat him he did lots of things that a normal budgie did. Buster was beautiful. I now have another budgie and he is so very different to buster I loved buster and I also love Indigo to...I hope your budgies leg will heal... They are very clever little birds....

·
Member of the Month March 2015
1,885 Posts
I've never had a budgie with a broken foot or leg, but I see pigeons all the time in Madrid that either have a bum foot or are missing part of their feet or ties. (My husband says that it's because rats bite them off when the pigeons are sleeping - gross! - and probably not true).

They get around just fine, and I'm hoping that your budgie does the same! :)

Reactions: Jonah

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts
Welcome to talk budgies. Was that an avian vet you went to ? I Hope the pain med's keep him comfortable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes she was an Avian vet... she said because they are so small and where it is broken its dangerous to operate- He 's getting around he eating and drinking but he so unhappy.:(

·
10,320 Posts
I thought you might like to see two video's of Buster. Buster talking on his cage it was the left foot that was damaged he waked on the side of his foot as it was turned out and not like the other foot.. I made him as happy as i could. Buster wasn't happy at first but he got use to it and i gave him a lot of love... How is your little cutie going?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lyn - thank you for sharing that video, he was a very pretty bird. My Pudgie is getting around and eating and drinking , like I said he's not singing, even when I play his favorite music - he's so distrustful of us now (esp since I took him to vet), but I think he'll be ok. It took him a month to puff up and sing to me again after I moved him from one room to another, but it is as if all the joy has been sucked out of the house without him singing.

·
Loyalty Award Recipient January 2015//Deactivated
3,928 Posts
Hope Pudgie is singing away very soon. I know what you mean about the house without the song.

·
10,320 Posts
Lyn - thank you for sharing that video, he was a very pretty bird. My Pudgie is getting around and eating and drinking , like I said he's not singing, even when I play his favorite music - he's so distrustful of us now (esp since I took him to vet), but I think he'll be ok. It took him a month to puff up and sing to me again after I moved him from one room to another, but it is as if all the joy has been sucked out of the house without him singing.
I am sorry this happened to Pudgie Your budgie will gain your trust again take it slowly. Pudgie loves you so much. You are a good budgie owner and we know that you love him. Pudgie is most likely feeling a bit of pain at the moment but when his foot settles down he will start singing. You can talk to him play with him give him a kiss or a scratch.. Pudgie will sing again whistle to him just show him a lot of love.. Let us know how he goes.... I hope he will be ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.