Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached are a couple of photos of my budgie, Winter.

I am a little confused on her mutation.

She appears Albino, but* she has cinnamon cheek spots and also a few cinnamon flecks in her flights and tail feathers. I have been told she is a very,very,very poorly marked lacewing. Is this correct? and if so, i was also told that you cant breed from them… if that is the case, how come?) ps. she currently has 2 healthy chicks in the nest with her partner, Stormie (dominant pied)

NB: her markings are only very faint, so hard to see in the light. She has gone
through 2 moults and still has the markings.

:budgie:

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Maybe whoever said you can't breed from them just meant you can't breed from them and get lacewings because the chicks will be more poorly marked lacewings like her so you won't get lacewings if that is what you are trying for. I'm curious to see what the chicks will look like.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Maybe she's fallow? I'm not sure but she doesn't look like the lacewing I have. :/ Or is she just dirty maybe? She's lovely but if you are trying to get lacewings and she is a poorly marked lacewing she wouldn't be fit to produce other lacewings because they will be poorly marked. And since you bred to a pied, I don't believe you would get any lacewings that way. I would be interested if you were to breed her to a normal or an ino.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe she's fallow? I'm not sure but she doesn't look like the lacewing I have. :/ Or is she just dirty maybe? She's lovely but if you are trying to get lacewings and she is a poorly marked lacewing she wouldn't be fit to produce other lacewings because they will be poorly marked. And since you bred to a pied, I don't believe you would get any lacewings that way. I would be interested if you were to breed her to a normal or an ino.
I don't think she could be a fallow, as fallows look like this (see attached thumbs)

I also thought she was dirty, when i bought her, but she has since gone through 2 moults and still has the cinnamon coloration. what do you guys think would be the outcome if i bred her to a df spangle **** bird?

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
I believe spangle is also dominate over lacewing. If you're trying to see if she is a lacewing you would have a better chance breeding to a normal or ino. She could be a cinnamon DF spangle. That might explain the cinnamon coloration. But to be sure, breed her to a normal not an ino.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
In the photos she looks like an Albino. Albinos can have faint markings sometimes, and Lacewings can too so they can be tricky to distiinguish. However, Lacewings usually have vey pale violet cheek patches rather than silver and a cinnamon quil to the tail feather. but if she has other vaireties, like Spangle or Pied, hiding under the Ino it could cause the silver cheek patches etc....basically it is one of the times it is going to be hard to tell! But letting us see her chicks could give more info when the time comes.

·
MOTM March 2012
5,292 Posts
Looks albino to me aswell, however if you keep back her male chicks and pair those when they are old enough, pair them to normals not Inos.

They should be split for Lacewing if she is one and Ino if she isn't so you should get either Ino/ Lacewing females from her male offspring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.