Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so this is going on for about a week now, my budgie's vent area is swollen and looking a bit grey in some areas. Also the vent is extremely dirty, as the droppings cling to it and as these droppings harden on the vent, Kiwi strives hard to poop and make squeaky noises while pooping, and everytime I see her poop, I cannot see anything dropping down on the floor which means that they cling to ther bottom.
Due to all this , she strives hard to get them out of her vent area, and tries hard to remove them, and has plucked out all its white vent area feathers by constant cleaning. She removes the stuck poop when it has hardened in large clusters. Her droppings have changed their colour from light brown to dark geen since several months,but I couldnt see any behavorial changes thats why I kept silent.
She is currently eating a bit less, but is absolutely active, and even when I dont call her, she comes running towards me for treats and responds to me. But, she isnt that playful, and also I have removed most of her toys 2-3 days back which were made out of icecream sticks and shreading material, as I thought that it might have caused the pasting of vent as she might have injested some shreadded wood....
I am attaching some pics of her bottom, when pic 1, is when I first noticed the slightly swollen vent a week back(pic 1), pic 2- vent area 2 days back , pic 3,4- vent area today
I hope tgat it is not a tumor or something, and I just hope that it is merely a constipation case馃ズ
Additional info- She is now over 4 years of age, (her exact age is not known since she is store brought)
I have applied some oil onto her vent today morning , and her droppings are soft and a bit mushy, but it is clingy(sticky) ......

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, but based on your experience with birds, do you think that it is a tumor? or do you think that there is a high possibility that it is a tumor?

Super Moderator
Not necessarily a tumor, are you able to very gently touch the area to determine if it is soft or hard, do not squeeze it.
Has she ever laid eggs?

Administrator
It is VERY important you take the budgie to an Avian Vet for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

Avian Vets have special training to determine the cause of symptoms resulting from illness or trauma.
This is important as "regular" vets will often overlook symptoms that are quickly obvious to an Avian Vet.
When you rely on anyone who has not had training in Avian diagnosis and care, you may be delaying effective treatment.
This can prolong suffering that may be avoidable.

The bird will often require a more intense, prolonged treatment with a poorer chance of full recovery than it would have if you seek prompt professional diagnosis and treatment at the first sign of illness.
If there are no Avian Vets near you, please find an Exotic Pet Veterinarian with experience in dealing with small birds.

Please update us on her condition after her appointment.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cody, Once again thanks for your reply. When I had applied oil to her vent, it certainly did not feel hard. Also, she had never laid eggs, even when her partner was alive , she never wanted to mate with him inspite of having the nest box.
FaeryBee, thanks for your reply too, but I am right now just a minor, who depends upon her father to take her pets to the vet, and my father has no time to take them to the vet, and even after continuously asking him, he everytime delays the vet visit wating for it to get better on her own, and only takes them to the vet when it eventually develops into a serious condition and when it is too late(I had lost the other budgie due to this)..... I know that it makes me a bad bird owner, but I had brought them when I was still younger and did not know anything about birds or their treatment, If it was not the case, then I would not have brought a budgie itself..... and so, I have come here in order to seek some help and advice.
Also I guess that it is important for you to know, that earlier in march, when her partner had died, she was called for checkup in order to make sure that she had not catched the infection, and she had a similar condition (like now) (but just for a few days), and for that she was prescribed "setliv", which was a liver tonic (avian), and "setgut" which was a probiotic , prebiotic, enzyme, powder ...for one month twice a day, but it did not help at all, and eventually after one month it stopped on its own, but this time she has a very swollen vent , that is the reason i am concerned.

Registered
Unrelated to what this poor bird is suffering from with regards to the diarrhea and swollen vent, and ignoring the fact that your father has zero empathy, I think your budgie also has lesions on it's foot (from the first picture). Do you use dowel perches? I've never seen a budgie's foot look so bad before.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I agree with both of you, that kiwis foot looks a bit sore, it cant be called a lesion, but it has redness, and I have noticed it around 3 days before and knew that it was because of dowel perches, and have already asked my father to scrape these perches (just like they sell perches on parrotwizard) so that at each point there would be a different diameter and would be no less than a natural perch.
Thanks for all your kind advices and I will also convince him to get kiwi to the vet at the earliest within 2-3 days(as my examinations are going on) and probably he will be convinced, as he is also an animal lover , and I got to love animals because of him, the problem is just that he delays the vet visit until the budgie starts sitting on the bottom of the cage as he feels that then only treatment is needed, but we bird people know that at that point of time it is too late. Also I would like to mention that when I said that my other budgie died because of this , it was not entirely his fault as he was truely devoting all his time into visiting various vets continuously in the other budgies last 2 days, but I only meant that if he would have visited the vet in time on its first symptom(when I alerted him) and not have waited for it to get better, the budgie could have been saved(though not 100%).
I will try my best for kiwi. Thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is an update, two days before, I was able to take her to the vet(exotic) , and two vets checked her, and at first they suspected egg binding, but they touched the swollen area but they did not feel any hardness so they did a swab test and said that she does not have any infection or virus or bacteria so they "mostly" suspect egg binding, and when we asked about her periodical nausea since several months, she said that it might be due the egg binding.
So they applied some oily medicine onto her vent as a painkiller, and gave her two medicines, 1- a humans medicine- a pediatric steroid oral drops which is anti bacterial and anti allergic(I checked it up on google) for 4 days once a day one drop and 2- a cream named Monosol-G which is also a human medicine which contains clobetasol and gentamycin for inflammed area and for infections and told to check on her and watch changes in her droppings. I know that they were supposed to give avian meds but in India avian medicines dont exist, no matter to which vet you go, they will either give you dogs and cats medicines or humans...
Yesterday after coming from vet, I gave her the oral medicine drop and today morning I checked her- the vent area was inflammed the same as yesterday, and the poop was stuck to her vent,but there were many droppings that were on the cage floor which contained large amount of urine part, some of which also consisted of undigested or partially undigested seeds, and the more lastest 3-4 droppings were gray black .... Now I am even more scared to give her the second dose, if it has happened due to the medicine......
I have yet not applied the cream , because I remember an incident few years back when I was uneducated about birds and I had applied some cream named "cosvateG " on her feet for scalliness and she had polyuria and we had to rush to the vet..... and now that I have looked it up on google that the new medicine given by the vet yesterday, has the same to same medicinal ingredients, I am now even more hesitant and scared to apply it to her vent as the area is easily accessible to her and she can ingest it......
Now I dont really know what to do,
Also I had asked the vet about her scaly feet, and she said that she has mites which is also causing the redness, and she sprayed sone strong smelling herbal spray on her neck(dont know if it was avian o some dogs or cats spray) and she immediately preened it , so i guess she ingested some of it.... so I am confused as to weather the gray-black poop was caused due to the medicine drops or the mites spray or anything else.....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
#2 Update: So day before yesterday, it was time for her second dose of omnicortil drop, and faerybee had not posted the reply then, so I had given the dose, after which she started having dark black poops(indicating digested blood), the whole day, became listless , fluffed up, inactive and started vomiting and had nausea the whole day, then we again went to the same vet for followup and she seemed to be clueless about what was hapenning with kiwi and directed us to avian vets outside my city as she said that she would not recommended any avian vet from my city, but those are too far away for travelling with kiwi and also they have bad bird reviews on google, then I read your reply and consulted an online vet but from India where they say that even expert avian vets are available,( We did not consult vets from international cuz they give vague diagnosis and will give avian meds that wouldnot be available here). So we described our issue to the vet, and he said that kiwi had a allergy to the omnacortil drop, and he asked us to immediately stop the medicines and prescribed (all human medicines as I have already said that avian meds dont exist here) a oflox oz syrup ( 1 drop diluted in 2.5 ml of water, twice a day for 5 days), liver tonic and Vizylac powder once a day( lactobacillus ) and a gel named neosporin to apply onto her slightly reduced swollen area thrice a day for 5 days. He asked us to come online for for follow up on 7th sept. He stated under the tentative diagnosis column- " Gastro Entritis" He also mentioned under the recommendation column," management improvement required" . Can you guys please explain what did he meant by management improvement? and what I should do to improve it.....
I am feeling so bad to see her all fluffed up, sitting with a sad face in one corner who used to be so happy ,slim and playful till before yesterday馃槥

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I forgot to mention that since morning the black poops have stopped but the poops have become dihorrea-like with more urine content, dark green feces and yellow urates- indicating that she is not eating enough, but in reality she is eating moderately but the fact is that she is vomiting most of it( I fear if all of it) which is making the urates yellow

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I know that yellow urates indicates liver disease, but from my experience it also means absolute no food intake , because when my other budgie had died, he was having same poops with dark green feces, and yellow urates when was not eating at all and have told it to vet also, but he still did not say anything about liver disease. Right now she is vomiting so much, she is vomiting each and every seed she is eating, nothing is getting digested, her whole face is stained with vomit, which also means that whatever medicines she is on, will also be useless as it is also getting vomited. How will she survive if no food gets digested!! I am getting panicked, and losing hope as I am writing this馃槬 I dont want to lose her, I love her and she wants to live I can see that in her eyes .All this happened because of that ridiculous omnacortil medicine prescribed by that pathetic vet馃槨 Everything was going fine before going to that vet. This is my biggest regret, I wish I could reverse it馃ズ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Another sad update, Kiwi has stopped eating alltogether and the meds dont seem to be working on her and is getting weaker and weaker. But I gave her some cilantro( her favourite) so that she could get atleast some enery through it. Tried to contact the online vet through his assistant but the assistant is not picking up call.
Should I try giving her electolyte solution? and what else should I do to increase her energy level?

Registered
I feel like you did everything right and had Kiwi's best interests at heart, but your country - like mine - lack professional avian vets. I've had them prescribe me bogus medication before, and I've seen other birds slowly dying and the owners say the same as you "the vet gave me medicine and it made them worse". I wish these horrible vets would have the decency to say when they're out of their depth and don't know how to help instead of prescribing stuff that makes our birds worse.

All the best for Kiwi, I hope they make a full recovery.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can give her an electrolyte solution called Pedialyte if you can get that. Have you looked at the info in this link that pertains to India Locating an Avian Vet//On-Line Avian Veterinarian Help
Yes, I had gone through the link and had also looked it up on google. But the fact is there are avain vets in my city but they mostly treat cats and dogs as still their main clients are cat and dog owners, and according to the reviews about hem on google, there are very few bird related reviews and if there are any, they are so bad(about the vet killing their bird due to wrong meds, or the bird getting seriously ill etc) that you will be scared to take your bird to such vets. And I found this online vet much more experienced as he could quickly tell what was hapenning with her whereas that pathetic vet kept on speaking about egg binding........
I feel like you did everything right and had Kiwi's best interests at heart, but your country - like mine - lack professional avian vets. I've had them prescribe me bogus medication before, and I've seen other birds slowly dying and the owners say the same as you "the vet gave me medicine and it made them worse". I wish these horrible vets would have the decency to say when they're out of their depth and don't know how to help instead of prescribing stuff that makes our birds worse.

All the best for Kiwi, I hope they make a full recovery.
Thanks @ChickWas for the much needed support. Now lets hope for the best and see what the online vet says to do about her lack of appetite....

Also there is a good as well as a bad update, it looks like since afternoon her nausea is reduced and she seems to more active as compared to in the morning when she used to sleep the whole day and also investigated her toy...... But the bad update is that still her droppings are dihorrea-like and still very fluffed up and there are two things to be concerned about which I am going to ask it to the vet tomorrow morning in the scheduled online apointment- 1. she is going every now and then to her seed bowl , but just pretends to eat, just nibbles them and throws them out of the bowl
2. Pic below. I saw that the dark color of the skin on her vent has darkened even more, it is more dark black now
Plant Houseplant Flowerpot Terrestrial plant Fawn

Super Moderator
That does not look good, the dark color may be blood under the skin or some sort of bruise, can you clean the droppings off of the area?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.