Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Can you share a picture of her whole cage setup? Please share these pictures with the online vet as they may be able to tell what it is. Whatever it is, it looks extremely sore and painful for poor Kiwi. I've never seen such a large patch of feathers bare before, when my Wasabi had diarrhea and a bacterial infection, she only removed the feathers directly surrounding her vent, not all the way to the base of her tail and up her stomach.

In India, you might have some luck going to a bird pharmacy, there will be a few for pigeons mainly. The workers there might be able to know what's wrong if you show them the pictures. But again, they might just prescribe you stuff that isn't going to help. Always google the medication before administering it to the bird if it comes from an untrained source (the online vets you can trust, but local vets and pigeon shop workers you cannot).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
That does not look good, the dark color may be blood under the skin or some sort of bruise, can you clean the droppings off of the area?
Yes when I apply the ointment I try to clean as much I can but it gets gets covered in droppings in no time...

Can you share a picture of her whole cage setup? Please share these pictures with the online vet as they may be able to tell what it is. Whatever it is, it looks extremely sore and painful for poor Kiwi. I've never seen such a large patch of feathers bare before, when my Wasabi had diarrhea and a bacterial infection, she only removed the feathers directly surrounding her vent, not all the way to the base of her tail and up her stomach.

In India, you might have some luck going to a bird pharmacy, there will be a few for pigeons mainly. The workers there might be able to know what's wrong if you show them the pictures. But again, they might just prescribe you stuff that isn't going to help. Always google the medication before administering it to the bird if it comes from an untrained source (the online vets you can trust, but local vets and pigeon shop workers you cannot).
Yes, I agree a large patch of feathers is missing and it looks terrible.Also there is no bird pharmacy as such in my entire city(I googled it) but there is on general pet pharmacy which I know is mainly for cats and dogs and has only a few bird supplements and seels the medicines only on presciption.....

Today morning I talked with the online vet before which, her droppings had again become black, so I told the vet that she has stopped eating and told that I had given her cilantro, so he told that I must give her cooked rice paste and stop giving any greens as it will cause even more diherria and will not help so I told him that I give her meds only through the cilantro stem(it is most convinient way, not at all stressful for her ) and she will not drink the meds without it. so he said that we must give her the most easily digestible food hence that rice paste and said that In this case I should keep the cilantro limited to giving meds and said that if she is not at all taking the paste then in such extreme case I can give her the greens. He said that I should try not to force meds or the paste into her mouth as it can go into her lungs and can cause respiratory illness. He said that the start of black stools again, means still there is strong infection but also said that the reduction in vomition can mean that the meds are working..... he also said that we should maintain her energy level at any cost as keeping her on saline may not be the appropriate option for such a small bird.I also told him about the darkened skin on vent and asked him to check the pics of her vent that I has attached on the consult info page on the app but he did not say anything about it..... He adviced us to keep giving the already prescribed meds and continue for 7 days if required instead of 5. He said that the most important thing is to get the diherria and the infection in control through the meds. He also added that sometimes egg laying birds encounter various fatal infections and the egg can break inside and can become septic.... (why did say this?she isnt an egg laying bird!?) I asked him wether he can prescribe any anti vomiting drug if she starts vomiting, then he said that they do not give such medicine to birds, it is only for other animals......

Another important to note, that just a while ago when I was applying the ointment to her swollen vent, it felt so warm to touch, like almost hot.... what does that mean!?

·
Super Moderator
5,814 Posts
Areas that have an infection going on can feel hot. Birds can lay eggs at any time, there does not have to be a mating for a female to do so, without a physical exam the vet is exploring all possibilities for what might be causing the problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just now when I was giving her medicine, for some reason she turned upside down when I could properly see her swollen vent and it looked like an egg inside her(maybe broken) so I visited this site on google- Egg Binding in Pet Birds – Beauty of Birds.
which I found helpful, and the symptoms of a bird being egg bound/ or egg broken stated in this site exactly matched with Kiwis symptoms and this site says that this condition is life threatning. It also means that the vet whom I was blaming for giving wrong meds was actually correct(but not 100% as she had infection too). Now I am almost sure that along with infection she also is egg bound, as the online vet(best avian vet) also said similar and more exact thing that is stated in this site.....
So now I am more concerned about how the egg will pass out, or if broken then how will it come out, and moreover even if the infection gets cured will the egg pass out on its own or if not then will the vet prescribe any meds that will make the egg pass out, or will massage and remove it manually, or if only surgery or something will only be required!?😓

·
Administrator
59,706 Posts
Have you contacted an on-line Avian Veterinarian as I advised in my previous post on this thread?
You really need to get professional help for Kiwi. She is obviously in pain and is suffering. This is not fair to her.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Have you contacted an on-line Avian Veterinarian as I advised in my previous post on this thread?
You really need to get professional help for Kiwi. She is obviously in pain and is suffering. This is not fair to her.
Yes, we did contact an online avian vet (who is from India) on wagr app which is an Indian app which provides for expert vet consultation (both avian expert vets and experts for dogs and cats as well) via video call and I have posted what the online vet said, and what medications he gave in my latest posts.... And according me I think he is the best avian vet in whole of India as he could instantly determine what was going on with her....
I agree that she is in pain, and suffering but we will have to wait until the course of medicines is over to check the results in her improvement......

Update: She has started to improve bit by bit.... and since 4th of sept till today, there is no digested blood in her poop, i.e they are not black now, but they are still dark green, and now the urates are also white, but the urine portion is still large, but at the same time they are not diherria-like, the feces are more well formed and firm now and she has started eating (but started having nausea and vomiting as soon as she started eating again) also she is not eating that rice paste......
Just before some time, I had again constulted the same online vet, so we could ask him about the possibility of an egg/ broken egg inside her so we could take her to avian vet outside our city, for extraction, but he clearly said that there is no possibility of an egg inside her and we must not worry about any kind of egg or broken egg since the birds who have an egg inside dont survive for long and they die within a few hours or in a day or two, and he said that if it was egg binding then Kiwi would not have survived..... He asked us to continue the same meds and apply the same ointment to her vent for two more days and when I told him about her nauseating again after eating seeds, then he said to let her eat how much ever she wants.....
Now I am relieved that it is not related to egg... and also that she is a bit more active now and I found her beak grinding today afternoon before her nap😁

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Since the vet confirmed that is not an egg inside, I now suspect possible liver disease or liver enlargement as I read the symptoms on the internet and they too are similar to kiwis symptoms execpt that she has white urates and not green or yellow. I would be asking about this to the online vet in next followup.
If there is any link or any thread related to the symptoms and treatment of liver disease please post it here as it would be of much help to me.....

Also yesterday was the last day of her 'Oflox Oz syrup' and today will be the last day for the neosporin ointment application. Also, 3-4 days back I had told in my post that her abdominal swollen area felt hot, but the following day and till two days after it only felt a bit warm and not hot..., but now since yesterday again it feels hot to touch. Which means the infection is still there?
Another thing I wanted to ask, that while I was applying that ointment to her abdomen, I was only concerned about its application to the area, I did not just bother about the nearby feathers that were also becoming sticky..... and today I just realised that all the nearby feathers were completely sticky, greasy and stuck together and she was tring hard to clean it off and with the same beak with which she tried to clean those feathers, she preened the rest of her feathers too, and now they too appear oily and sticky....
How to I clean it off!? I cannot get rid of it just by a tissue or water, because after applying the ointment, my fingers become so greasy that I have to wash my hands atleast three times with soap until I get rid of it completely..... Since we cannot use soap on birds, how do I clean it off!?

Also I found out something terrible, while she was preening, I saw that all the feathers below her wings were missing, I could see her limbs upto the joint on her body!!!!!(But I could not see any feather around the cage since a month/ or maybe that ointment grease went up to those feathers?) This may be because of mites, and it also means that the strong smelling spray which that exotic vet sprayed on her neck for mites, did not help at all.....
She is so much in pain! Cant see her like this, I want her recovery as fast as possible!😭

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Forgot to update: Before 2 days, when the whole medicines course was completed I again took one followup with the online vet, I told him everything about her and improvements, and also shared my screen and properly showed him the pics of her abdomen and the blisters-like thing on it, zoomed those pics in and out and made well sure that he had seen it clearly.....
Though he did not say anything about her condition( i dont know why,) he suggested me to give the vizylac and liver tonic for one more week and start the application of neosporin ointment again.... He also prescribed one syrup named vimeral(avian supplement) which is a multivitamin syrup and a stress reliever which is commonly used in poultry birds.I am still wondering what would have caused such a sore lump.......☹

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Today Kiwis energy level seemed to be too low, so now we have decided to take her to the nearby avian vet( hope he would not prescribe any wrong meds) tomorrow(as today being a sunday, all vet clinics are closed) as we would be taking the last chance available... I was initially scared to take her to such "not so good avian vet" with bad reviews, but since she is getting weaker and weaker, it is the only option left with us.... as taking a risk would be better than not at all trying...... and also because even if the online vet was excellent, there was very little scope for accurate diagnosis of the swollen lump in virtual( anyways I am thankful to him for atleast saving my bird from dying due to wrong meds).....
Now I only hope that the vet should correctly diagnose her condition, and prescribe correct meds and dosage unlike what the first exotic vet did to her)
Also I would like to ask in advance, that if at all the vet to which we are planning to go, asks us to do x ray, should we allow it? because she is already very sick and out of energy and the illness is already increasing her stress levels, and I have also heard many birds dying due to heart attack during x rays and some not coming out of the anesthesia.....
Another thing, the multivitamin supplement( which has all kinds of vitamins) prescribed by the vet is not helping her gain strength, she likes it and drinks it properly, still she is getting weaker....... is there any another way by which i can increase her energy level?
PS: she has gone extremely underweight from some what overweight, as I could sharply feel the keel bone sticking out....and pedialyte electrolyte soln. is not available here...

·
Super Moderator
5,814 Posts
Take a look at this regarding electrolyte solution Guardian Angel // Pedialyte // Pedialyte Recipe
If you do not want to do x-rays, ask the vet what he/she thinks the possible issue might be and how it can be treated? Here is some info on what the exam should include The Avian Physical Examination
Take list of questions with you and make sure you ask what the side effects of any meds that might be prescribed will be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
REST IN PEACE KIWI😭💔
Bird Vertebrate Beak Pet supply Feather

It is afternoon right now, just an hour ago I saw her peacefully sleeping inside her next box, I did not disturb her and went inside my room to study..... but just a while ago when I got up to check on her and give her the next dose of multivitamins and ointment, she was laying still and cold with her eyes open and with curled legs on the bottom of her cage in a terrible way. It was no doubt appearing to be dead, but I still my mind was not ready to accept the reality, I still hoped that she was alive and made noises to wake her up, but she had already left the world forever...... I could not hold my tears when she was taken out of her cage for burying......
She was a happy and a curious budgie, who used to love greens and who was playful who loved her toys and would have no one touch her toys......She lived her life happily and enjoyed every moment in her life..... Such a nice budgie!!
Now my house is left budgieless, now it is cold and silent, no chirps, no singing, no sounds of their presence, it is all deathly silent forever!!! I remember the times when my house was filled with chirps of joy and her partner blueberry my handsome budgie all day chattering away...... Till today since the time I owned budgies no day was silent, even today she was chirping at me a few hours ago.......
Fly high :) Now they both my Blueberry and Kiwi are united together in heaven
Goodbye Kiwi💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💛💚💛💚🤍💙🤍💙

·
Super Moderator
5,814 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this, try and take comfort in knowing that she had a happy life with you and Blueberry and she and Blueberry are now together again.
Fly high sweet Kiwi 🕊 🌹

·
Super Moderator
19,684 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss of Kiwi. You did what you could for her while she was on earth. Hugs to you during this difficult time.

Fly high sweet Kiwi, rest among the stars.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.