Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I really need some ideas for budgie toys and perches. Right now I bought a new cage for them, and it only has two perches and a weird pot which I have been told is actually a place in which they will breed. So maybe some of you can take pics of your toys and perches and post them here. It will be a great help to me!

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,995 Posts
The weird box would be a nestbox. It might be an idea to remove it if you have no plans to breed. :)

There are loads of sticky topics on here regarding safe toys and perches for your bird.

Here is a picture of my cage with perches and toys but I think you might be wiser to read up on what you're looking for that is and isn't safe.

I have a number of toys on the outside of my cage for when my budgies are out, gives them different things to play with and chew on. I also keep my rope perches on the outside as they pull on the thread. if they are outside, they don't spend that much time on it and I can keep an eye on them as they are never out when I'm not in the room with them.

·
Administrator
56,604 Posts
Hi guys! I really need some ideas for budgie toys and perches. Right now I bought a new cage for them, and it only has two perches and a weird pot which I have been told is actually a place in which they will breed. So maybe some of you can take pics of your toys and perches and post them here. It will be a great help to me!
It is very important that you remove the breeding "pot" from the cage. You should not plan to breed budgies until you learn a great deal about them, how to ensure their health and well-being and the best practices to follow if you do decide to consider the responsibility of breeding.

Knowing the budgies' ages, whether or not they are related, having them on a good conditioning diet are just a few of the things that must be addressed before considering breeding. ;)

Here are a few pictures of some of my bird cages:

·
Member of the Month June 2014
10,320 Posts
Good cage set ups everyone.. But the most important thing is that some people forget to put in there budgies cages natural branches for our budgies to chew on...I have only a Medium cage for Indi he likes hanging bells...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Here is mine. The larger cage belongs to my cockatiel, Grayson but I often swap things from one cage to the other and Tico the budgie plays in Grayson's cage often during out time. Toys are constantly needing to be replaced since Grayson believes every toy must be shredded to utter destruction. I usually try to let Tico get first dibs on new toys because by the time Grayson is through with a toy it is only suitable for the trash.

Here is an older picture of Tico's cage taken back when he was just a flock of one. I loved that platform swing but it was decimated by Grayson after only 2 days.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OK. Now I have looked at your cages, I want to kill myself. First of all, my budgies have a WOODEN cage. Second, they don't have stainless steels bars, they have these rotten iron bars. Third, the cages of your budgies are huge.
My mom is really not going to buy me another cage, or at least not right now. The cages you guys have are not available in this stupid country. I am keeping four budgies in what you people won't even keep one. The cage is wide, but with those toys I am going to add, there will hardly be any space. And I am MAKING all those toys because I have searched just about every pet shop and I found no nice toys or perches. And I am pretty sure my parents will never buy anything online. So now I am really wrecked.
P.S every person who keeps birds in this country has given their birds stupid wooden cages and no toys or freedom.

·
Member of the Month January 2016
4,995 Posts
I don't believe there's anything wrong with a wooden cage. I know that a lot of breeding cages can be more like that and if that is what is available to you, you have limited choices. Although the iron bars might be an issue as I'm not sure this is safe for your budgie.
You also mentioned you'd be keeping 4 budgies. Is it not possible to keep less birds if you are not able to house them in a large enough cage?
Will the budgies have out of cage time?
If so, you could make a play area for them with some of the toys outside the cage. I have several toys set up outside the cage for when the birds are out so they have things to play with.

Could you also maybe do a deal with your Mum? Maybe there are some things you can help her with to earn another cage?

·
Registered
36 Posts
My birds are not tamed, so they are bored to death everyday. And even if I tell my mom about the cages you guys have, she will say that every budgie lives like that and they really don't care. She will also say that her money has been wasted because she spend 5000 on these four budgies and their cage. Actually she spent 5000 rupees which is less that 50 dollars but I don't think she cares. So if you can suggest something that means we don't have to spend money then that is better. I am thinking of selling the cage so we can get the money we spent back. Or I can tame them and they can have some fun in my house?

And my mum won't give away one of our budgies because she likes them and she just bought them two days ago.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Can you make your own cage or even alter the cage you already have? You would need some untreated wood and stainless steel mesh. Here is the link.

If you can't find anything I would just make a bunch of toys by hand and swap them out frequently. The toys don't have to be fancy. Shredded paper stuffed in an empty toilet paper roll for example. My budgie likes this plastic coated paper clip I have. He picks it up and drops it over and over again just to hear it make a plink type sound when it hits the floor. I know there is another member on here (can't remember name) who has a bird obsessed with plastic soda bottle caps. So there are lots of thing around that can be given as fun play objects.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for being so supportive. I don't think I can make a cage, but I am definitely going to make toys. I am thinking of making them a play gym, so I am taming them right now. All I have done by now is get them used to my voice. Now I am going to move on to the other steps. What I am going to do now is that I going to place my hand on the cage bars. I will do this for at least 30 min and then I will move on to the next step and then the other and then the other. I really hope I can train them all quickly

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By the way I am thinking of posting a picture of the cage I have. And also I wanted to show you people the new cage I have bought for my cockatiels. My mom really loves the cage I bought for my cockatiels and maybe if I ask her to buy me another cage like that one then she will agree. I want to show you guys the cage because I wanted to know if it is okay for budgies as well. The cage is pretty empty at the moment.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
82 Posts
OK. Now I have looked at your cages, I want to kill myself. First of all, my budgies have a WOODEN cage. Second, they don't have stainless steels bars, they have these rotten iron bars. Third, the cages of your budgies are huge.
My mom is really not going to buy me another cage, or at least not right now. The cages you guys have are not available in this stupid country. I am keeping four budgies in what you people won't even keep one. The cage is wide, but with those toys I am going to add, there will hardly be any space. And I am MAKING all those toys because I have searched just about every pet shop and I found no nice toys or perches. And I am pretty sure my parents will never buy anything online. So now I am really wrecked.
P.S every person who keeps birds in this country has given their birds stupid wooden cages and no toys or freedom.
Please don't be hard on yourself, you'll get there and you are here asking genuine questions. Birds adapt to a lot and don't suffer, give yourself plenty of time to get what you dream of for you birds. It's okay, you can't produce miracles overnight!

One of my birds' most favourite toy is a simple coconut! You can see it here behind Caleb. They both love pecking it and standing on it, it's a pleasure to see!

And a BIG Welcome to this site!
:welcome::welcome::welcome:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Please don't be hard on yourself, you'll get there and you are here asking genuine questions. Birds adapt to a lot and don't suffer, give yourself plenty of time to get what you dream of for you birds. It's okay, you can't produce miracles overnight!

One of my birds' most favourite toy is a simple coconut! You can see it here behind Caleb. They both love pecking it and standing on it, it's a pleasure to see!

And a BIG Welcome to this site!
:welcome::welcome::welcome:[/QUOTE

Thanks a lot for supporting me. I guess that I will just have to train them quickly. I did not tell my mom about the cage issue because I don't want to annoy her. I am deciding to stick with this cage and I will buy another one when they give babies. Once again, thanks a lot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.