Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would any of you Mutation Know It Alls ;) care to predict the mutations for Jonah and Noelle's two 2-week-old chicks? You can find pictures of Jonah and Noelle in Post #1 and the latest pictures of the two chicks (the light and dark chicks with down-covered backs) in Post #14 here: http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?p=392338#post392338.

I'm guessing Jonah is a light green opaline. You had a difference of opinion regarding Noelle's mutation here: http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=30627. I don't know either parent's split.

Have fun! :D

Added 2/1/09: To facilitate the predictions, I've added a few photos of the parents. Since the hen has irises, she's a sky blue dominant pied. Although her wing pattern has been debated, I think she's a sky blue opaline spangle dominant pied.

Attachments

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
The first chick looks like a yellow face blue normal. The white down on the second chick indicates the it is probably opaline and as there are no dark areas except the head it could have inherited spangle from it's mother as well

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
These pictures were taken 1/31/09, when the chicks were 16-17 days old.

Chick #1 appears to be sprouting blue or violet rump feathers and a blue-green tail.

Chick #2 has a small patch of light blue feathers on his back, hidden by the down. Otherwise, he's still white/yellow with black baby bars (?) appearing on his head. (That dark spot on the back of his neck is just a piece of food.)

Attachments

·
BuDgIe **ChArMeR**
2,199 Posts
your chicks are sooo cute!!:D anyway, id love to take a guess..:D
chick 1 is... yellow face type 2 sky blue?
chick 2 is... yellow recessive pied?:D

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Katherine, upon further examination, I tend to agree with cobalt (violet was wishful thinking ;)).

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
omg i love your babies!!!! they're growing up so fast :)
i'm gonna go with normal cobalt and yellow face II sky blue recessive pied.
Can't wait to see them fully fledged :)

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More pictures!

Thanks, Zeena. :D

Here are some recent pics (chicks are 18-19 days old). Some of you have guessed correctly that #1 is a yellow face cobalt blue normal. But all I know about #2 is he looks yellow face -- does the appearance of those clear flight feathers change any predictions?

Attachments

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
A budgie soap opera: Who's the daddy?

Uh oh. I think I may have a real-life budgie soap opera occurring right here in front of me. I'll try to be brief:

Mr. Blue and Nibbles
Mr. Blue (possibly double factor YFI sky blue normal) and Nibbles' (cobalt blue dilute) {first picture} first clutch produced four chicks: three YF cobalt blue normals and one YF cobalt blue recessive pied {second picture}. (YF Type TBD after first molt.)

Mr. Blue and Nibbles' second clutch produced four chicks: one YF cobalt blue normal and three YF cobalt blue recessive pieds {for pictures, see Post #34 here http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=33077}. (YF Type TBD after first molt.)

Jonah and Noelle
Jonah (light green opaline) and Noelle's (sky blue opaline spangle dominant pied) {third picture} third clutch (first two clutches were infertile) produced one YF cobalt blue normal {fourth picture} and one YF sky blue [complete mutation to be determined] {fifth picture}. (YF Type TBD after first molt.)

Have you guessed my question yet? [Hint: All 10 chicks are YF.] ;)

What's the likelihood that Mr. Blue, not Jonah :eek:, is the father of one or both of Noelle's two chicks?

Attachments

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Another picture!

Here's a current picture of 4-week-old Baby #2. What mutation is he? He appears yellowface (which came from Mr. Blue, not Jonah?), and his only color (greenish sky-blue) is on his rump.

First picture has no flash; second picture used flash.

Attachments

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Help please!

I'm still hoping someone can identify this baby's mutation. Here are some pictures taken today. The baby is almost 8 weeks old and has not undergone his first molt. I think he's a boy because his cere is pink with no nostril rings. The first three pics were taken without a flash; the last two were taken with a flash. The only blue coloring is on his rump; it's a seafoam green (presumably yellowface covering sky blue). Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you! :D Can you please tell me how the "double factor" appears visually on the bird (I understand all the other terminology)? :p

·
Member of the Month
3,206 Posts
How did I miss these grown up pictures!!! Beautiful, beautiful. My 16 day old chick looks similar to your baby in question but I see cobolt coming on mine. If he she/ looks similar to yours I will be in seventh heaven. Just stunning :):)

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Very pretty. My Baby Boy looks a lot like the yellow chick. His feathers have come in a deeper yellow after his first molt.

·
5,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aw, shucks. Thank you both for the compliments (as if I had anything to do with the coloring)! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.