Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am probably getting ahead of myself here, seeing as my pair hasn't even laid any eggs yet, but I wanted to post this anyway. :rolleyes: Last year for a school project, I studied budgie genetics. Thought it might be fun to see what I might have when/if Keiko and Azusa have their own chicks. :) I also wanted to make sure I was calculating everything right.

Here's my pair:

Keiko (male):
Green and Yellow
Dominant Pied
Opaline
Split to Slate? (Two of his full sisters were slate greys)

Azusa (female):
Standard Blue
I have no idea what she might be split to!

(Sorry she looks a bit rough in this picture--it was taken during one of her last molts).

If I have done my research correctly, I can expect their chicks to be:
-50% Green and yellow
-50% Blue
-50% Dominant Pied
-50% Normal Solid Color
-All opaline chicks would be female (unless Azusa is split to opaline, if that is possible?)

Am I missing anything? How does the split to slate work? Would a slate baby be genetically impossible with my pair?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Can't be split to slate slate is a color adding factor like Grey and violet are

are you sure his siblings were slate? Slate is very rare
They were most likely Mauve which looks a lot like slate

If his siblings were Either Mauve or Slate that means they're blue series - meaning he's split to blue

his actual mutation is Green Opaline Dominant pied
don't have to call him Green & Yellow - all green Budgies are Green and yellow :)

So you'd get Green ,Blue part being pied none split to pied - dominant pied is unable to be given as a split

your female can not be split to Opaline - it is sex linked so either a female is Opaline or it is not Opaline - she's not there for all Opaline chicks are female

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Male opaline, dominant pied, light green/ for blue x Female normal sky blue

100% opaline females 50% dominant pied females
50%normal males 50% dominant pied males
about 50% blue 50% green

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Slate is a very rare sex-linked mutation. It is unlikely that Keiko's sisters were slate. It is more likely that they were grey which is a dominant mutation so, since it not showing, Keiko has not inherited it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keiko's breeder seemed pretty sure that his sister's were slate colored. I've never heard of mauve as a coloration. So color adding factors (like slate and violet) are recessive then?

EDIT: Just saw the above post--sex linked makes sense, as only his sisters had that coloration.

Here are Keiko's parents:

Here are his siblings:

One of the slate babies:

Keiko's parents' previous clutch (more slates?):

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wait, wait, wait. Slate, or whatever color Keiko's sisters were cannot be a visual sex-linked trait. Neither of his parents are that color--Dad was a Sky blue opaline dominant pied, and mom was a green opaline recessive pied. How are the slates genetically possible with this pair? It must be recessive? Otherwise how did this happen?

Now I'm really confused, lol! :eek:

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Wait, wait, wait. Slate, or whatever color Keiko's sisters were cannot be a visual sex-linked trait. Neither of his parents are that color--Dad was a Sky blue opaline dominant pied, and mom was a green opaline recessive pied. How are the slates genetically possible with this pair? It must be recessive? Otherwise how did this happen?

Now I'm really confused, lol! :eek:
it didn't happen they're Grey and Mauve Not Slate

and slate is often confused with Mauve.

they may call them "slate" and not mean the actual Mutation slate but going by the actual definition of slate as there are colors (not budgies but like crayons, Shingles, carpet etc) that is Slate Blue and Slate Grey -

there are Slate Lovebirds which looks Grey depending on the Dark factor
so they're most likely calling the Grey Budgies "slate" meaning Grey not the actual Term and mutation of Slate for budgies

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, so they are either grey or mauve then. :) So it must be possible that Keiko carries this gene? Since his parent(s) carried it without being that color?

Also, if mauve is a double dark factor, which is dominant, why don't the parent birds appear to have any dark factors (sky blue and light green, I think?)? Or am I missing something?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
The dad actually looks cobalt to me Which means he has 1 Dark Factor Can't see the moms entire body well enough to see if she's Light Green or Dark Green.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was able to track down a better picture of Keiko's parents. Do either of them look like they carry dark factor? The dad does look cobalt around his neck, but not so much on the rest of his body--maybe it was just the lighting though.

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
the dad is Violet Sky - That is violet around his neck not cobalt
and to me the mom looks either normal green or light green - could be the flash making her look light green

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is it possible that Keiko could carry the violet gene? I am not familiar with how that one works. Is it sex-linked?

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
16,073 Posts
Is it possible that Keiko could carry the violet gene? I am not familiar with how that one works. Is it sex-linked?
it's not sex linked its a color adding factor Like Grey
it just takes 1 Parent to have it and some of their babies will get it

http://www.***************/c_violet.html

it is possible Keiko carries it too but its Harder to tell on a Green Series bird than it is a blue series

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
If the **** bird is sky blue, as he looks in these pictures, then none of his chicks could be mauve. Originally I thought that the hen was probably grey green and some of the chicks were grey but she does not look grey green in these pictures so the chicks cannot be grey. That leaves slate as the only other possibility (unless colony breeding was involved).

Violet & grey are both dominant color adding factors. Slate is sex-linked. If the chicks are slate Keiko has a 50% chance of being split for slate

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope, Keiko's parents were not colony bred--they were the only budgies that the breeder owned at the time (besides the chicks, of course).

Keiko and Azusa have an egg that is supposed to hatch tomorrow--maybe I will get a slate baby after all! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.