Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently visited an avian vet for my budgie's respiratory problem. Apart from medications, vet also said I should keep my bird's cere moist. I wasn't quick enough to ask "how to" then and am unable to contact with them until next week. Had a very effective nasal lubricant and used it 3 times on my bird and so far there are no unwanted side effects. But this makes me feel uneasy. I want to know whether this oil-based product can be used safely on my bird. These are the ingredients: D-panthenol, vitamin A. Expicients: vaseline pure, paraffin oil, BHA.

Do you also have any kind of advice to keep the cere moist? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,607 Posts
I would not use the product unless it was ok'd by the vet. Did the vet mean the outside of the cere or was the vet referring to the inner nasal passages being kept moist?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would not use the product unless it was ok'd by the vet. Did the vet mean the outside of the cere or was the vet referring to the inner nasal passages being kept moist?
He did not specify that.
I would think that a warm mist humidifier would be a lot safer than any sort of product.
I was told to pour the medicines into nebulizer and let the bird breathe the mist but what he later told about the cere was of a different subject. I understood as though I need to apply something on the cere (or maybe just moisturize with water) so it would stay wet but I might be wrong. Perhaps your idea is close to what he was talking about.

·
Administrator
59,441 Posts
If you need to moisturize the outer cere, use a Q-tip and very carefully apply a tiny bit of Olive Oil being VERY careful NOT to get it into your budgie's nares.

The purpose of this forum is to promote the BEST PRACTICES in the care of budgies for their optimal Health and Well-Being

Locating an Avian Veterinarian

A Healthy Diet for your Budgie
Quality Seed Mix
CuttleBones, Mineral Blocks and Manu Clay Roses
Safe Foods for Budgies
The Truth about GRIT

Please take the time to read through the Site Guidelines, the FAQs, the Budgie Articles and all of the Stickies located at the top of each section of the forum.

Truly, the very BEST advice anyone can offer you is to take the time to read ALL of the stickies throughout the various Talk Budgie forums as well as the Budgie Articles we have posted.
(Stickies are threads “stuck” at the top of each forum sub-section)
These are great resources for Talk Budgie members and have a wealth of reliable information which will assist you to learn the best practices in caring for your budgies for their optimal health and well-being.

SITE GUIDELINES
Posting on the Forums
Let's Talk Budgies!
FAQ
Articles
Be Prepared for Veterinary Care Expense
Avian First Aid
Quarantine IS Necessary!
A Heartfelt Plea to All Members
Tips For Discouraging Breeding
Before You Ever Consider Breeding Your Budgies
Guidance for Breeding Advice Threads
Cage sizes.
Essentials to a Great Cage
Dangers to Pet Birds
Resource Directory

·
Super Moderator
19,588 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums!

You have been given great advice above and I agree completely.

Additionally, it's great to have you on the forums. If you haven't already, be sure to read through the forums' many budgie articles and "stickies", most of which have been provided above, to ensure you're up to date on everything!

If you have any questions after doing so, please be sure to ask as we'd love to help!

Please keep us updated on how your budgies are doing soon!

Best wishes!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.