Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty sure I know what she is, but just sending it out to be sure...

This is my fatso Chiara, tipping the scales at 75gr.

After her first moult

About 2 months old

Age of maturity reached

Beside my Lutino boy Helios

Standing next to my spangle cobalt Piccolo

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Susan. I think she might be more violet, she is a few shades darker than Piccolo. Wondering about her dark factors.

·
Member of the Month April 2011
5,435 Posts
Opaline cobalt.
Thanks Susan. I think she might be more violet, she is a few shades darker than Piccolo. Wondering about her dark factors.
She definitely has a violet factor!
There are 3 "dark factors": 0 (sky blue), 1 (cobalt) and 2 (mauve). I'm pretty sure your sweetie is cobalt/1 dark factor.

Violet is a "color-adding factor," not a "dark factor."

When I first saw your lovely hen, I thought she might be violet, too. But since I'm not good at judging the violet color-adding factor, I played it safe and stuck with just plain cobalt. :p

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yeah, I see what you mean. I might have to get you some more pics in the sunlight to get it sorted. Unless a genius like Nev can tell from these :)

·
Member of the Month March 2011
19,551 Posts
She is a cobalt violet opaline :)

Like dark factors, violet effects the body color and cheek patches. Her body color and cheek patches both indicate she is a violet in addition to cobalt :)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She is a cobalt violet opaline :)

Like dark factors, violet effects the body color and cheek patches. Her body color and cheek patches both indicate she is a violet in addition to cobalt :)
Thanks Lindsey!!! Now if she was to get a clutch with either the spangle cobalt or the lutino, what am I expecting? With Buddy looking over us from the rainbow bridge, Chiara is starting to become the alpha girl and coming into condition. Both boys are now focused on her. <giggle>

·
19,551 Posts
Thanks Lindsey!!! Now if she was to get a clutch with either the spangle cobalt or the lutino, what am I expecting? With Buddy looking over us from the rainbow bridge, Chiara is starting to become the alpha girl and coming into condition. Both boys are now focused on her. <giggle>
Sure thing! :)

If she was paired to a cobalt spangle you would expect sky, cobalt and mauve chicks. Half or all would be violet depending on if she is sf or df violet. Half of them would be spangle, and all the males would be split for opaline.

The lutino is more tricky unless you know what he is masking and split for. If he is not split for blue all of the female chicks would be lutinos. The males would be normal light or dark green (unless he has any dark factors and is split for opaline) and they will be split for opaline and ino. And again, half or all of the chicks would be violet, although this can be harder to see in green series birds and would be masked by the lutino females. All of the chicks would be split for blue. That is assuming he is only masking normal light green and not split for anything, which is very unlikely :)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Phew!! That is an earful. In my terms, if I see blue chicks only, Piccolo is daddy. If its a schmorgus board of things, Helios got in there somehow :D

·
19,551 Posts
Phew!! That is an earful. In my terms, if I see blue chicks only, Piccolo is daddy. If its a schmorgus board o things, Helios got in there somehow :D
Yeah it is :p But that is not necessarily true :laughing: Both males could be split for things as could your little girlie which can come out in the chicks, and your lutino male can be masking anything but cinnamon and clearbody which is going to spice things up too ;) If you get greens you know they are from Helios at least :giggle:

If you want to breed them and keep your guessing sanity(and for their safety ;) ) put them both in a breeding cage with no other males and wait at least 2 weeks before putting in a nestbox to encourage egg laying. This way you can be sure there is no sperm left from another male mating with her :)

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Greeeeat... I'll just go discourage breeding altogether now! <Yanks millet and eggfood out of cage> My head hurts from thinking about it all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.