Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sick or not ?

Hello, I am a first time budgie owner and got my bird yesterday. It seems to be a male that is around 4 months of age, according to the research I have done online. My question is, I've noticed my birds poop get stuck near the vent, it is dark green. I also saw a blood wing? I think that's what it's called when he expanded his wings. Are these important issues? He has eaten very little and not seen him drink any water yet. I'm guessing he's just scared and trying to get used to the new environment at the moment. So basically I got a bit worried, is this normal?

:budgie:

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,787 Posts
Welcome to the forums and the ever exciting world of budgie ownership! :)
The stress from being in a new environment can promote more watery poops and as a result, the feathers on the vent area will get a bit soiled.

When you mention blood wing, I gather your budgie's wing is not actively bleeding, right? What you saw when your budgie stretched his wing was a feather on the wing that is in the process of growing. The blood helps the new feather to grow and once it's fully grown the blood will be fully absorbed and there will be no traces of it left. These blood feathers can easily be seen on the growing wing feathers and the main tail feathers as well.

Yes, it's normal for a recently purchased budgie to take little food at first and budgies in general are very sneaky when it comes to drinking water and when they do so, they usually only take a couple of sips, so you won't notice the decrease in water consumption. Still it's important to place fresh water (as well as food) on a daily basis and if need be to change the water more than one time per day when you notice the water is soiled.

You can cover the top and sides of the cage with a light blanket or cloth, this will help your budgie to feel safer and more comfortable in his new surroundings. Turning the radio or TV on for some background noise is also a good idea, budgies react very positively to this and open up more and let out a few chirps as a result.

Keep a close watch on your budgie, if the there is a lot of poop build up on the vent, you may need to gently grab him and carefully clean the area with a cotton ball soaked in lukewarm water.
Hopefully soon your budgie will settle in and his poops will go back to the more normal consistency. If you don't notice an improvement, then booking an appointment at the avian vet for a wellness check will be the best thing to do.

Best of luck with your new feathery friend! ;)

·
Exceptional Service Award Recipient
21,787 Posts
You're very welcome! ;)

·
Administrator
56,471 Posts
I've merged your two threads addressing your concerns about your budgie's health. Multiple threads addressing the same topic are unnecessary and confusing to others. :)

Your budgie is in a new environment and is still stressed and scared. In the second picture he is sleeping.

If you are concerned about his health, the best thing to do is take him in to see an Avian Vet for a well-birdie check-up.

Taking any new budgie to an Avian Vet for a check-up is always a good idea. Doing so gives you the opportunity to develop a relationship with the vet and the vet can establish a baseline for your budgie in case of any future illnesses or injury.

Locate an Avian Vet

Association of Avian Veterinarians
http://www.aav.org/search/index.php

International Vets Register
Vets

Bird Vets Near You
Veterinarians.com

Please give us an update on your budgie's condition in this thread after you've taken him in to the Avian Vet for his check-up. :wave:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.