Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my little guy began his big boy moult in late November. He had the pin feathers, loss of the fluffy downy feathers and was a grumpy gus. By late December early January no more pins or feather loss and he was back to his happy self. However throughout the moult he never lost a tail feather and only lost 3 flight feathers (I am thinking of making jewelry or something out of the shed feathers so I'm keeping the bigger one).

In the last week, however, he is back to losing feathers and has even lost a flight feather! But I can't see any pin feathers and he's not as grumpy as he was during the previous (?) moult.

So my question is - is this normal? A continuation of the original moult or a new one all together? Do baby moults take longer than the "regular" moult?

Thanks in advance!

·
Servant of The King
11,974 Posts

·
DEACTIVATED ACCOUNT
2,335 Posts
Baby birds go through a first molt, that gets rid of all the baby down, and a few pin feathers show up here and there. It's not a terrible molt, though they lose a huge amount of down feathers. Then around 4-6 months of age they go through the adult molt, which they lose their wing feathers and tail feathers, as well as a lot of the small feathers and the down.

sounds like he's going through his second molt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.