Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jewel the little green and yellow female has a yellow spot on the back of her head does that make her a pied? She does have white flight feathers but otherwise looks normal. So does the blue male, he has a white spot on the back of the head but its small and he has white flight feathers...

Star is a pied for sure right.He is all yellow with a green lower belly and has light yellowish white flight feathers.I was told when they got him he was all yellow and developed the green later on...

Thanks this is all new to me.There are pics of them here
http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=62229

·
Lil' Birdy Girl
3,790 Posts
The spot on the back of the head does not neccasarily mean they are pied. I do not know their mutations... sorry!:) By the way your birds are really pretty!! Oh and the spot on the back of the head is normal in case you asked that and i didnt read it. :D

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
the spot does not necessarily mean they are pieds, it also occurs on budgies that are split for rec pied. however, combined with clear flight feathers then you do have a pied!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if they have the spot and white flight feathers like all of mine do that means they are not normals but are either pied or recessive pied?? But normals can have the spot but have black flight feathers is this right?

.Its not that important I dont intend to breed or anything but this genetic stuff is always interesting if not a bit complicated and over my head.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
if you have a bird that has just the spot, then it is most likely split for rec pied.

both yours have the clear flight feathers so must be either clearflight pied or dominant pied, recessive pieds look quite different, like your other budgie.

dom pieds are more common than clearflights i think. the way to tell is to see where any other pied markings are, if they have patches down low on the abdomen then theya re prob dom pieds. clearflights tend to have patches that spread down from the mask.

it looks like your green has the odd clear feather down by its legs and so is prob dom pied.

·
Member of the Month
3,184 Posts
Thanks, Toni. I didn't notice those yellow feathers before. I guess I was looking for bigger areas of clear feathers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.