Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi members,
I have questions

1) Do the double factor yellow-faced type 2nd violet-cobalt really have purple body, like double factor violet-cobalt ???

2) Do the single factor yellow-faced type 1st violet-cobalt really have purple body, like double factor violet-cobalt ???

3) Do the double factor violet-olive really have blackish green or very very dark green body ???

4) Can both male double factor violet-cobalt male budgie and a female olive budgie produce double factor violet-olive baby budgies ???

If you have photoes, I would appreciate these photoes.

·
Registered
428 Posts
From what I've read:

1) Do the double factor yellow-faced type 2nd violet-cobalt really have purple body, like double factor violet-cobalt ???
The underlying violet will be just as purple, but the yellow suffusion from the yellowface will dull the purple significantly.

2) Do the single factor yellow-faced type 1st violet-cobalt really have purple body, like double factor violet-cobalt ???
Single factor violet cobalt (DdVv) and double factor violet sky blue (ddVV) have the same body color and are both visual violets, but both are not as deeply colored as a double factor violet cobalt (DdVV).

3) Do the double factor violet-olive really have blackish green or very very dark green body ???
No. Violet olives (SF or DF) are very hard to distinguish from normal olives. The violet form may have some violet feathering below the mask, on the undersides of wing-butts, and near the feet and vent. The DF violet form may be slightly darker than the SF violet form, but this is not a dependable characteristic.

4) Can both male double factor violet-cobalt male budgie and a female olive budgie produce double factor violet-olive baby budgies ???
double factor violet cobalt is DdVV. Normal olive is DDvv.
50% of the offspring will have 2 dark factors, 50% will have 1 dark factor.
100% of the babies will be SF violet. (no DF violet, you need a violet from both parents to get DF)
If the olive does not carry a blue gene, 100% of the babies will be green.
If the olive carries a blue gene, 50% of the babies will be green, 50% will be blue.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Also, I believe violet olives have purplier and darker cheek patches (and maybe tail feathers?) than normal olives. Though I'm not sure this is always true.

Here is a spreadsheet of violet forms, comparing them. There are links to my sources at the bottom. I'm not entirely sure about the cheek patch and tail feather colors. There doesn't seem to be agreement on that point. (whether the dark and violet factors effect them or not)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AojS7E2gXDbndHVTcHRxTnU4SHBhQjdPT01SUzZXdVE

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Earthnut,
I read Peter Bergman's study about violet forms of budgies.

Both single & double factor violet-skyblue have turquoise colour at base of both webs of centre tail feathers, darking to blue toward tip.

To tell a double factor violet-skyblue from a single factor violet-cobalt, you have to look at bases of centre tail feathers, under upperside tail coverts.
With bases of centre tail feathers hidden by upperside tail coverts, the double factor violet-skyblue and single factor violet-cobalt budgies look 100% same.

A single factor violet-skyblue is easy to tell from cobalts by body colour (Cyan blue to Deep Skyblue) and darker purple cheek patches, while double factor violet-cobalt are only true purple-bodied budgies.

I do not have violet-olive budgies and I do not know whether the single factor violet-olive are 100% alike to olive or not, but the double factor violet-olive had darkest green body. A double factor normal spangle budgies would have strongest colour contaction, of bright yellow head to back and dark olive green body, darkest on rump, making them handsome birds.
I would appreciate photoes of double factor violet-olive budgie.

I have a blue male opaline budgie with his wife-olive opaline, I thought the male opaline were single factor violet-skyblue as his body colour were Deep Skyblue, with Cerulean blue central tail feathers., but they may produce either one olive or violet olive chick, otherwise 2-3 green chicks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.