Talk Budgies Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Member of the Month
7,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been studying like crazy with genetics, using pennet boards and stuff, and I have a question. Is the yellowface mutation dominant or recessive? How is it passed on? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,174 Posts
Yellowface mutations are dominant. Originally they come from yellow based budgies (green series). There are two types of yellow faces, yellow face type 1 which you see sometimes on blue series budgies. For example, Finnigan is a white based budgie as indicated by the face, however in yellow face type 1 blue series bird, the face would be yellow rather than the common white :) Yellow face type 2 is where the base colour (yellow in this case) is also visible through other parts of the body other than the face.
Here are pictures to help you :
1. Yellow face type II sky blue recessive pied
2. Yellow face type I sky blue.
I hope i didn't confuse you or make a fool out of myself by giving you wrong info. That's all i know, i don't know how it gets passed on. From what i read, breeders and genetic experts still cannot undertand how dominant trait can show up in a blue series bird which is naturally recessive to the green series :)

Attachments

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
There are 3 yellow face mutations and they are all dominant. The three mutations are unrelated to each other and a budgie can have more than one mutatations at the same time. This often leads to confusion because if one type acts with another type the result may not be what is expected, so it is often claimed that they are complicated.

Green will mask all 3 types
Golden face will mask type 2 or type 1
Type 2 will mask type 1

To add to the confusion double factor type 2 is often mistaken for type 1 and double factor type 1 appears as a white faced budgie

If each mutation is handled separately their genetics work in exactly the same way as the genetics of any other dominant mutation

·
Registered
93 Posts
thanks nev.. before reading this i thought double factor type 1 = golden face. :eek: does double factor appear brighter than single factor?

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
thanks nev.. before reading this i thought double factor type 1 = golden face. :eek: does double factor appear brighter than single factor?
Double factors sometimes may not look any different from single factors but usually the yellow doesn't spread as much on the double factors. It is not always possible to visually tell which are single factors and which double factors in a clutch containing both

Golden face is very similar to type 2 yellow face except that the yellow is brighter. The yellow on a type 1 yellow face is usually paler than the yellow on a type 2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.