Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read an article written by Ken York about “Knowing your pieds”. He wrote that a DF Dom Pied doesn't have iris rings and that the cere of a **** bird is flesh coloured – just like a RP. Is this correct? If so how do you distinguish between a RP and a DF dom Pied? Does anyone know who Ken York is and what is his qualification to write such an article?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
ken Yorke is a respected breeder and exhibitor ...............a DF dominant pied does have iris rings and the cere is purple, a DF cannot be identified 100% visually , only by breeding and the variety of the chicks produced.

A rec pied will not have an iris ring and the df dom will , the df dom will also have a head patch

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
ken Yorke is a respected breeder and exhibitor ...............a DF dominant pied does have iris rings and the cere is purple, a DF cannot be identified 100% visually , only by breeding and the variety of the chicks produced.

A rec pied will not have an iris ring and the df dom will , the df dom will also have a head patch
Great info Barrie! :)

Will a DF Dominant Pied have a similar head patch as Dominant Pied?

Any picture?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for making this clear to me. I was a bit confused when I read his article - especially about the DF dom not having iris rings.
You say that one cannot identify a DF Dom visually; is that because a SF and DF looks more or less the same?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ken Yorke is a good friend of mine and a fellow rare breeder.

I suggest you read his article again as Ken does not say what you have written. If you read his article on his website there is another article following it written by Paul Russ in which he says he has bred DF Dom Pieds without iris rings but neither author states it is a fact for 100% of DF Dom Pieds.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Ken Yorke is a good friend of mine and a fellow rare breeder.

I suggest you read his article again as Ken does not say what you have written. If you read his article on his website there is another article following it written by Paul Russ in which he says he has bred DF Dom Pieds without iris rings but neither author states it is a fact for 100% of DF Dom Pieds.
Hi Ripbudgies. :)
Glad to see you back.
Do you have a link to the article or Ken Yorke's website?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here is the link to the article on Ken's website.

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/kyorke/p225.htm

As this is his website it will be an original article.

DF Dom Pieds can have a blue cere or a purple/flesh coloured cere and this depends on if the cere have been affected by the pied gene or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.