Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. :) I may be getting a normal cinnamon **** who is split for lacewing next year.. and I was wondering; what mutation hen should I breed him with in order to get lacewings? I was thinking ino, but I'm not very good at calculating genetics. Does anyone have an idea?

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you want to breed him with an albino budgie you would get ino/lacewing males and lacewing females, You might get cinnamons but Im not sure if male or female or both

I hope you found this helpful:eek::p;):cool::rolleyes::D

·
Human Bird Gym
2,669 Posts
Yeah, hopefully you'll get one of Mist's chicks lol.

I ran a normal skyblue cinnamon/ lacewing **** bred to an albino hen on gencalc and these are the results.

Cocks
48.5% albino /cinnamon
1.5% blue /lacewing
48.5% blue /albino
1.5% albino

Hens:
48.5% lacewing
1.5% blue cinnamon
48.5% blue
1.5% albino

·
Human Bird Gym
2,669 Posts
Wow.. So ino is probably my best bet?

I also hope I'll be able to get one of Mist's chicks. He's gorgeous!:p
Yes, you'd also be able to get lacewings from a normal cinnamon but you'd still have the most chance of getting lacewings with an ino.

I'll make sure I put your name on the waiting list for one of his chicks (you're the first :XD:)

·
Member of the Month January 2009
3,676 Posts
Pairing a cinnamon split lacewing **** to a ino hen would produce the same percentage of lacewing female chicks as pairing him to a cinnamon hen. The advantage of pairing him to a cinnamon would be that it could increase the strength of the cinnamon markings. The advantage of pairing him to an ino would be that all the male chicks would be split for both cinnamon and ino. In either case you would expect half of the females to be lacewing

I disagree with the theory that mating a lacewing to a normal strengthens the markings, I believe that in most cases it weakens them.

·
Human Bird Gym
2,669 Posts
Pairing a cinnamon split lacewing **** to a ino hen would produce the same percentage of lacewing female chicks as pairing him to a cinnamon hen. The advantage of pairing him to a cinnamon would be that it could increase the strength of the cinnamon markings. The advantage of pairing him to an ino would be that all the male chicks would be split for both cinnamon and ino. In either case you would expect half of the females to be lacewing

I disagree with the theory that mating a lacewing to a normal strengthens the markings, I believe that in most cases it weakens them.
I also agree with the pairings to normals. Anyway, I was going by the percentages from GenCalc that said you'd have a better percentage of getting lacewings with an ino :eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.